The John and Cobbler Preamps

Synchrony Pedalworks

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Since @steviejr92 posted his awesome "The Samurai," I thought I would go ahead and post these two pedals. These pedals compliment "The Samurai" in the Victory V1 series. As others have commented the Cobbler is fantastic. I made an Aionfx Gaia and the Cobbler is far superior. With both pedals (John and Cobbler), you can achieve clean tones, but get some fantastic overdrive. The John does have a "creamier" tone and with thicker mids. My original idea was to place these circuits in one box and I may still do that. Placing several of these Victory circuits in one box would be like a cab simulator, switching from an AC30 to a Princeton, etc.

As for the builds, they are straight forward. Tayda has all the goods needed, so buying from one store will reduce shipping cost. The art for the John found a circuitous way to the "King of the North" and Game of Thrones, therefore, it is the Direwolf. I am still determining if the hammered finish for the Cobbler will take the metal foil decals that I have been using. I am still needing some inspiration for the art, so if you have any ideas, feel free to share!

Given the fantastic nature of these pedals, I may compete the set!

7D8174E7-330E-4351-B2DC-7E9AC055C106.jpeg 8FE303BC-D5A1-4610-99E6-5B33116D672D.jpeg 1CBF672E-E04B-4CAF-B6E6-6D82B4C7DBB0.jpeg 3274CB99-3ACC-465F-9012-1119B65B4ACA.jpeg

Last edited:
These look fantastic! So it never occurred to me to put both the John and Cobbler together! How are you liking the John? I was thinking about getting it!

I love them both but ill be honest i like the Cobbler a tad more. I feel Like it has more the sound i like and go for!

I love them both but ill be honest i like the Cobbler a tad more. I feel Like it has more the sound i like and go for!
I have my eyes on these. I need to figure out which ones to build… maybe all of them?
Yes. Cobbler is my favorite of the two. I have a Fender VibroChamp clone and the Cobbler transforms it to the AC30 tones that I also like. It is so versatile

I have the Cetus which is supposed to be the complete opposite of the Doxie. The Cetus is a high gain pre amp im looking forward to it!

The John graphic turned out fantastic.

Suggestions for the Cobbler, hmmm something that could go over the Hammertone finish
LASER-ETCH!

s-l400.jpg

antique-illustration-of-shoes-production.jpg

OR NEGATIVE!
antique-illustration-engraving-of-manufacturing-industry-shoemaker.jpg

203a3dfb912fbf0eaec149fcf12d6d50.jpg

a-victorian-shoemaker-in-his-workshop_u-l-q1krvok0.jpg

Alas, those don't really go well with your The John graphic... Hmmmm...

The John graphic turned out fantastic.

Suggestions for the Cobbler, hmmm something that could go over the Hammertone finish
LASER-ETCH!

s-l400.jpg

antique-illustration-of-shoes-production.jpg

OR NEGATIVE!
antique-illustration-engraving-of-manufacturing-industry-shoemaker.jpg

203a3dfb912fbf0eaec149fcf12d6d50.jpg

a-victorian-shoemaker-in-his-workshop_u-l-q1krvok0.jpg

Alas, those don't really go well with your The John graphic... Hmmmm...

I've been doing a TON of acid etching using this sort of "etching" graphic style and having a lot of difficulty holding the acid back from eating into the details. I've had to use much more "Stencil" like graphics .

What, is "Laser Etching"??? sounds expensive to get into...

I've been doing a TON of acid etching using this sort of "etching" graphic style and having a lot of difficulty holding the acid back from eating into the details. I've had to use much more "Stencil" like graphics .

What, is "Laser Etching"??? sounds expensive to get into...

d1a795f146839ed3b22fcc1321ef77e6359d42df.gif

Q: What is laser-etching?
A: It's literally a laser burning into things.

BOND: "You expect me to talk?"

5ee5f855c422fc30e7b8b7e32987be32.gif

GOLDFINGER: "No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!"

A friend has one of the Laserpeckers, and has tested it on wood, metal...

laserpecker-2-handheld-laser-engraver-and-cutter5.gif

I have the Cetus which is supposed to be the complete opposite of the Doxie. The Cetus is a high gain pre amp im looking forward to it!
Cetus is fantastic! Great range of high gain tones, but drop the gain, boost the mids and highs, and you've got great classic rock/old school metal Marshall tones. I can't recommend it enough.

Last edited:
Build it! The Cetus is just killer - gain down, mids and treble up and you have classic

Cetus is fantastic! Great range of high gain tones, but drop the gain, boost the mids and highs, and you've got great classic rock/old school metal Marshall tones. I can't recommend it enough.
My wife is going to be disappointed and ask, “another purchase from PedalPCB!” 🤣

I have been impressed with these Victory pedals.

d1a795f146839ed3b22fcc1321ef77e6359d42df.gif

Q: What is laser-etching?
A: It's literally a laser burning into things.

BOND: "You expect me to talk?"

5ee5f855c422fc30e7b8b7e32987be32.gif

GOLDFINGER: "No, Mr Bond, I expect you to die!"

A friend has one of the Laserpeckers, and has tested it on wood, metal...

laserpecker-2-handheld-laser-engraver-and-cutter5.gif
I have seen this too, but they can be expensive. Maybe the price will come down this year!

I’ve been wanting a Marshall style pre amp I’m looking forward to it! I bet it’ll pair nicely with the blues jr!

I have seen this too, but they can be expensive. Maybe the price will come down this year!
Up to 40% off until the 16th or something like that when I went to the website yesterday.

Lasers are expensive, but the WP is the easiest to use that I've seen and is pretty good for the price. I might look into getting one eventually.

They can definitely do more detail than a trad chem etch; I'll ask my two buddies with lasers if the hammertone finish would be a problem next time I see them.

Back