toner transfer?

lcipher3

Anyone tried the "toner transfer" method for pedal artwork?
Looking for recommendations and success stores on what brand of paper etc

My -pedals have a thin (0.030") aluminum 2.1"x2.1" plate where all the graphics are - so Im not heating a large area and I would think this method would have at least a chance for success.

Apparently this can be done with heat (iron on) or acetone ? chemical transfer. Anyone had success?
Looking for something a little nicer than water-slide.

Last edited:
Before I got a laser it was my go to method. Sometimes I etched the negative image and sometimes I just put clear coat over the toner transfer. I had the best luck with thin (65gsm I believe) glossy cardstock paper. I also found one of those old school flat irons without any holes/steam features as it seemed to be the most evenly heated.

Before I got a laser it was my go to method. Sometimes I etched the negative image and sometimes I just put clear coat over the toner transfer. I had the best luck with thin (65gsm I believe) glossy cardstock paper. I also found one of those old school flat irons without any holes/steam features as it seemed to be the most evenly heated.
What's the lowest cost "reasonably" good laser you can get these days?

And where / what type of cardstock did you use (brand and id if possible)? There's like 5 million different types and no clear agreement on what works best. Is the stuff called "picture paper" and is it laserjet or inkjet? I know the transfer only works with laserjet (toner) but what is the paper advertised as?

Most of the stuff Im finding is ~ 200 g/m^2 weight, is the 65 g/m^2 better easier to use?

Last edited:
That’s just what I found worked best. You need to use a laser printer, ink doesn’t work.

Honestly it’s a lot of trial and error, I would go to an office supply store and buy a few single sheets of different styles and just go nuts experimenting. Glossy picture paper is fine, glossy cardstock is fine. It was mostly my printer being a bottom feed style that made the lighter weight necessary, it wouldn’t feed through with the thick stuff.

The cheapest laser I found that’s suitable is the Neje Master 2. It was 250$ Canadian!

That’s just what I found worked best. You need to use a laser printer, ink doesn’t work.
yes I know - but it seems the "glossy picture paper" is **advertised** as for inkJET. Is that the right for printing with laser or is there "glossy picture paper for LASERJET ?

Back