Transistor leg twisting in Uber drive

brightlight

Im still pretty new and learning some of these tricks, so thanks for your patience! I'm building an Uber Drive which calls for 2 2sc732 transistors, but i had to sub for 2 2n5089's. The base and collector are swapped for these 2 transistors so basically on the 2n5089 I have to swap legs 2 and 3 if looking at the flat side of the transistor.

I'm having a hard time getting the 2n5089 properly seated in the PCB without having the legs touch. I assume it's NOT ok for the legs to touch so I'm trying to be cautious. When I get it into the pads I can avoid them touching but the transistor has to sit kinda high for the legs to not touch each other. Is this all normal or is there a trick to bending the legs here that I'm missing?

Slip wire insulation over the legs so they don't touch then bend the transistors down once they're soldered. Or use sockets

Slip wire insulation over the legs so they don't touch then bend the transistors down once they're soldered. Or use sockets
This is exactly the kind of genius I was after. That works, thank you!
Can you twist the transistor any?
I tried that without the insulation method above and it just made me too nervous that they'll touch at some point in the life of the pedal if I did this. A combo of insulation and twisting it like you said works wonders! Thanks!

Back