Transistor Socket

danwojaz

I am building a Sandspur Fuzz and the transistor sockets that I ordered are too large to fit on the PCB. The spacing of the pins on the transistor socket are too far apart for the PCB.

Does anyone know what sockets will fit?

I am building a Sandspur Fuzz and the transistor sockets that I ordered are too large to fit on the PCB. The spacing of the pins on the transistor socket are too far apart for the PCB.

What size is your package? No, I mean your transistor's package-size.

TO-18 or TO-5 or ?

440px-TO-39_vs_TO-18_vs_TO-92_cm.jpg
Pic from Wiki (TO-18 link above)
Size comparison between (left to right) TO-39, TO-18, and TO-92 packages.

I'm guessing the Sandspur has TO-18, IIRC, ie BC108.

Use the SIP-sockets ErikS suggested or order some TO-18 puckages.

SynthBearSmallCube had TO-5 but are sold out; StompBoxParts only has TO-5... hmm Bonzai supposedly has TO-18 pucks, but I'd try elsewhere such as Mouser or Digikey or smaller seller before resorting to Banzai.

Searching "transistor socket TO-18" should hopefully get you a few hits to a seller close to home.

Oh, and here's an info-sheet from Texas Instruments on package sizes.

My earlier cheekiness aside, I agree completely with @Paradox916

IMG_6842.jpeg
I got these heat sinks off Amazon. They work great with all manner of components like the transistors I’ve included above for scale. The only advantage with sockets is of course if you plan to try different transistors, but not sure that’ll be a key consideration with a Si fuzz face.

My earlier cheekiness aside, I agree completely with @Paradox916

View attachment 55952
I got these heat sinks off Amazon. They work great with all manner of components like the transistors I’ve included above for scale. The only advantage with sockets is of course if you plan to try different transistors, but not sure that’ll be a key consideration with a Si fuzz face.
Yeah, I would do that if found the right transistors, but I am going to have to socket them so I can mix and match.

What size is your package? No, I mean your transistor's package-size.

TO-18 or TO-5 or ?

440px-TO-39_vs_TO-18_vs_TO-92_cm.jpg
Pic from Wiki (TO-18 link above)
Size comparison between (left to right) TO-39, TO-18, and TO-92 packages.

I'm guessing the Sandspur has TO-18, IIRC, ie BC108.

Use the SIP-sockets ErikS suggested or order some TO-18 puckages.

SynthBearSmallCube had TO-5 but are sold out; StompBoxParts only has TO-5... hmm Bonzai supposedly has TO-18 pucks, but I'd try elsewhere such as Mouser or Digikey or smaller seller before resorting to Banzai.

Searching "transistor socket TO-18" should hopefully get you a few hits to a seller close to home.

Oh, and here's an info-sheet from Texas Instruments on package sizes.
Thanks for all of the info!

The downside to soldering things in place is you can no longer easily experiment.

If you've found the best possible tone with "X"-transistor(s), by all means solder them in.

ANOTHER option is to use sockets and tack in one leg with a wee dab of solder, if you're worried about the transistor coming out of its socket (though I've never had that happen).

Back