Transistor Sockets...

Coda

I'm curious about sockets for transistors. While I have always used sockets for IC's, I have not ever used a transistor socket. With my latest build I decided to experiment with different transistors...pretty much because I didn't want to go to the trouble to build a testing rig. So sockets are a must. However, as I discovered, not all sockets are created equal. Specifically, not all transistors fit the common TO-5 socket.. I have seen sockets for TO-18, but cannot seem to find them for a TO-92.

Not much of a question here, really. This is more of an observation-based thread. I am hoping others will share their preference/experience with using transistor sockets. And if anyone can point me to some TO-92 sockets, I would greatly appreciate it.

having a few strips of those single row pins can come in handy when you need to improvise an IC socket. You can cut two rows to whatever pin size you need and solder them to the PCB. It can be easier to get the pins in the right place if you stick them on the IC first, then solder a few pins in place to the PCB, remove the IC, and solder the rest of the pins.

Is this what I am looking for?

h

those header pins are too long, but can be useful for other projects.

this is what is being discussed:

Here is an equivalent product on Amazon, but Tayda is much cheaper:

Last edited:
those header pins are too long, but can be useful for other projects.

this is what is being discussed:

Here is an equivalent product on Amazon, but Tayda is much cheaper:

Thank you for that. What about sockets for a TO-18 transistor? I have sockets on hand that I have used before, but they are too big for this PCB. I have also read about TO-18 sockets, but have not been able to find them.

Worst case, I'll just place the transistors and solder once I decided on the final combo.

I wonder if IC socket holes would fit the transistor? My local part shop doesn't sell the in line sockets, but it sells the 8 or 16 pin IC sockets cheaply. Maybe I could hack one of those apart. The real question is would the transistor fit.

Pb

I wonder if IC socket holes would fit the transistor? My local part shop doesn't sell the in line sockets, but it sells the 8 or 16 pin IC sockets cheaply. Maybe I could hack one of those apart. The real question is would the transistor fit.

Pb

Can’t answer your exact question but if they have standard female header strips you can pull a pin out on the side of the amount of sockets you need (so for 3, the 4th pin) and then use an x-acto knife or something similar to cut to the desired number “through” that extra pin that you just took out.

In my experience these don’t grab transistor leads as well as the round machined SIP pins but if you tin the leads so they’re thicker they should hold decently

Last edited:

Pb
Do you have a real brick and mortar electronics store? If so I'm jealous.

I didn't appreciate the Radio Shack stores as much as I should have before they all closed.

It would be amazing to be able to drive down the street and grab the one capacitor I forgot to order.

I go through SO many pin sockets. I'm always modding every single pedal I build, whether is transistors, resistors, caps......etc. I always add 3-4 strips with every order I place with Stomp Box Parts.

I fried two transistors, using barely any heat, and said never again. I use sockets and pin sockets for every IC chip and transistor. Best part, if I don't want to use the pedal/circuit any more, it's so easy to just pull out the components I put on sockets.

I built a Muffin Fuzz board with all sockets so I could test every version to see which one I like the most. Ended up blending 3 of the versions together to make "my own" version of a Muff that sounded best with my setup.

Also if something is too big/small to fit, just solder a bigger/small extension from a cut off resistor leg or big diode leg.

I use the snappable in-line sockets from Stomp Box Parts exclusively for all ICs and transistors, as well as components that I want to sub. Have had zero problems and zero need to tin/crimp legs. They are very grabby.

However, many people on the forum will swear up and down that they have had nothing but problems with socketing transistors and won't do it on principle. It's one of those polarizing topics like 3pdt washers.

I use the snappable in-line sockets from Stomp Box Parts exclusively for all ICs and transistors
Can you link to those? Thx! Sounds interesting, as I like sockets, headers, and screw terminals more than most! Ha..

Edit: if you're talking about the ones Erik linked to below, I love em! They don't seem to actually "snap in" to any board I've used, though - PedalPCB, Vero or otherwise... Would be great if they did!

Last edited:
no idea as to betterer. As far as I know they might be exactly the same. The stock does change every once in a while too. Plastic is more or less brittle, slightly different shape, etc.

I mostly order from Mouser and Stomp Box Parts, so that's the reason I do the the SBP sockets.

I just realize my phrasing could have implied that I "exclusively" use SBP's sockets, when really what I meant was that I exclusively install transistors, ICs and swapping components with sockets. I don't particularly care which, but I haven't had any problems with the ones I usually buy through SBP

I also use them and component leads instead of pin headers. works good even though my first attempts resulted in slightly off-kilter boards.

I'm curious about sockets for transistors. While I have always used sockets for IC's, I have not ever used a transistor socket. With my latest build I decided to experiment with different transistors...pretty much because I didn't want to go to the trouble to build a testing rig. So sockets are a must. However, as I discovered, not all sockets are created equal. Specifically, not all transistors fit the common TO-5 socket.. I have seen sockets for TO-18, but cannot seem to find them for a TO-92.

Not much of a question here, really. This is more of an observation-based thread. I am hoping others will share their preference/experience with using transistor sockets. And if anyone can point me to some TO-92 sockets, I would greatly appreciate it.
I've stopped using them. I breadboard my circuit and carefully build it afterward. Sockets seem to have variable grip strength.

Back
Top Bottom