Turning PedalPCB Build Docs into Buy Lists

drew.spriggs

Howdy,

I've seen people post about this on FB/Reddit, so figure of all places here it will probably be useful too. While the build docs are pretty good, it is a bit frustrating not having values/quantities immediately available. I figured out an easy workflow to get them.

Download the build docs as a PDF, and open them in standalone Adobe (won't work from a browser). Copy/paste the part type colums and values straight into Excel or Google Sheets, then use Data>Split text to Columns to get everything in a usable column. From there, add a row next to the split data, and run the UNIQUE function (=UNIQUE(Range)) on the value column to grab each individual value from the list. From there, move a column over and use the CountIF function (=Countif($Range$, unique value)) to grab a count for each part. Make sure you use the $ command so the range doesn't shift, then you can just copy/paste down for as many rows as you have unique values.

Using this workflow, you can get a buy list in about 30s of work.

1706163774647.png

Even better would be if the docs divided the parts into stuff you already have a thousand of (10k resistors ) and shit yer definitely going to have to buy to build this (dual ganged pots in weird values and some transistor from 1967). :)

Howdy,

I've seen people post about this on FB/Reddit, so figure of all places here it will probably be useful too. While the build docs are pretty good, it is a bit frustrating not having values/quantities immediately available. I figured out an easy workflow to get them.

Download the build docs as a PDF, and open them in standalone Adobe (won't work from a browser). Copy/paste the part type colums and values straight into Excel or Google Sheets, then use Data>Split text to Columns to get everything in a usable column. From there, add a row next to the split data, and run the UNIQUE function (=UNIQUE(Range)) on the value column to grab each individual value from the list. From there, move a column over and use the CountIF function (=Countif($Range$, unique value)) to grab a count for each part. Make sure you use the $ command so the range doesn't shift, then you can just copy/paste down for as many rows as you have unique values.

Using this workflow, you can get a buy list in about 30s of work.

View attachment 66762
Nice!!! I already use a spreadsheet to inventory my parts (quantity on hand, quantity needed, order quantity), so if I could automate this step and add it to my current sheet, next steps would be to automate creating an order list. Nice!!
Thank you!

I used this the other day. Updated my spreadsheet in no time!

One caveat I should add: do NOT use tables if you use the “unique” function. It simply will NOT work within a table

Back