Why don't PedalPCB build docs tell you what trimmers are for?

mzy12

This may be a very silly question, but is there a reason that PedalPCB build docs don't contain any information on stuff like what trim pots are used for? What you're supposed to be measuring for and all that? Aion FX build docs always go into plenty detail in regards to this and even the dreaded PCBguitarmania will almost always tell you what to measure and what to set trim pots for.

Is the reason that you're just expected to find resources for that elsewhere? Makes sense if it's for something like fuzz faces, but maybe would be handy for more obscure/less tweaked with pedals.

Sorry if this is a silly question and/or if it's been asked before.

I think pedalpcb caters to a more advanced type of builder and it's expected to be able to identify the parts of a circuit. There arent any kits or instructions beyond the schematic and parts list in the build doc. Was there on specifically you were wondering about?

I think pedalpcb caters to a more advanced type of builder and it's expected to be able to identify the parts of a circuit. There arent any kits or instructions beyond the schematic and parts list in the build doc. Was there on specifically you were wondering about?
That makes sense to me. Nope, nothing specific I'm looking for (at the moment anyways haha) just was curious if I was missing anything obvious. Thanks for the quick response! I know that if for whatever reason I do get stuck I can always come to the community here for help.

That makes sense to me. Nope, nothing specific I'm looking for (at the moment anyways haha) just was curious if I was missing anything obvious. Thanks for the quick response! I know that if for whatever reason I do get stuck I can always come to the community here for help.
💯 lots of good folks here ready to help. Trimmers most often help bias transistors. Post if you need a hand!

I had a funny exchange recently about whether it makes sense to print hard copies of your build documents (I like to), and something I appreciate about the PPCB ones is that there's no fluff/ stories/ photos in there. Couple pages, everything you need, nothing you don't.

I've branched out to a couple other pcb vendors lately, and while sometimes I appreciate all the extra work that goes into some of their build docs, they're a real bummer as hard-copies.

I don't spend a lot of time reading schematics, but they're usually in the doc if you really need answers on what a specific component is connected to. And like @Laundryroom David says - if you're looking to understand a circuit, lots of help to be found here.

I think pedalpcb caters to a more advanced type of builder and it's expected to be able to identify the parts of a circuit.
tim-robinson-i-think-you-should-leave.gif

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You can always check if there's any information about the pedal your project is based on. And in the spirit of experimentation... Spin it both directions and see if you can hear what it does.

I like to be treated as if I know what the hell is going on even if I have no clue. I can just nod knowledgeably and be accepted as one in the know. Please don't blow my cover. I only just found out that you have to plug these things in a few days ago.

At the risk of being misinterpreted, and/or getting off on the wrong foot as a forum newbie...

As a pedal building noob, I have to provide a contrast to some of the sentiments above. The fact PedalPCB offers so much is amazing, but I have to honest: the terse documentation is a speedbump to entry for people who are just starting out like me. The amount of assumed prior knowledge in PedalPCB docs can be frustrating. I would love to have at least recommendations on what kinds of caps, diodes, resistors to use in what spots (film? ceramic? etc). I realize that's often open to tinkering for different results, but having part callouts for a "default" benchmark build would really help A LOT. Not just in building, but in discussion as well.

I absolutely respect that it's all being done by one guy, and given the huge volume of boards in his catalog, I absolutely can't fault him if it's too much work. If he can't or doesn't want to do it, that's his call.

BUT, with all due respect, folks here actually praising and encouraging that kind of lack of info as a general practice sets a really bad precedent. You may personally be advanced, and that's cool for you, but saying stuff like "it's everything you need and nothing you don't" (YIKES, is that untrue), or "I like being treated like I know what I'm doing" (pulling the ladder up behind you in over an ego thing that ultimately exists in your head instead of the documentation), or "I prefer less because I like to print everything out" (treating major value for many others as disposable compared to a convenience to a quirky practice that may be unique to you) is corrosive in the bigger picture.

A lot of these ideas in practice manifest as unintentional gatekeeping. Catering to the egos and non-standard quirks of old hands at the cost of making it harder than it needs to be for new blood to enter.

Good documentation makes learning WAY easier and more efficient. It can often be a difference between just two minutes of close reading a doc, vs, half an hour of combing forums and trying to parse the one simple bit of needed info from a quagmire of semi-unrelated "did you try this?" troubleshooting discussions that I don't yet have the expertise to learn from.

And again: all I'd personally want is specified cap/resistor/diode types for build benchmarking (like Coda Effects and Breakfast Audio have in their docs). Just that alone would be the single biggest help. And again: I understand if PedalPCB himself has to pick his battles when it comes to his time, energy, or interest. It's the community appearing to gather around the idea that the quality of documentation can be measured by how exclusively it caters to experts and grognards that's throwing up red flags for me.

Back