Twin Face Cancels-out Delay Pedal...

Coda

I recently completed the Twin Face build. However, when placed (first) on my board, my delay pedal (last, Donner Yellow Fall)...well ceases to work at all. There is no delay whatsoever. As soon as I switch off the Twin Face, the delay is back. Does anyone know exactly what is going on here?

Just poked about a bit on the board, and discovered a few things that make the issue even stranger. The fuzz does NOT cancel the event, but rather, overpower it. On the germanium setting, a delay setting that normally repeats say 5 times only repeats once. On the Silicone setting there is no delay at all, just a very weak, quiet hint of echo, most of which is probably coming from the amp reverb.

Power the circuit. Put your multimeter to DC voltage. Place the red lead on the output of the circuit (i.e., the tip of the output jack), and place the black lead on a ground point. You shouldn’t have a reading.

C2 and C4 are DC-blocking caps. If you get a reading and those are installed correctly/not shorted, you may have a short somewhere with wiring/switching.

I don't think that that's going to be your problem, though. Any well-designed circuit will have decoupling capacitors at the input and output. Even if the delay unit did not have them, the pedals in the signal path between the fuzz/delay would decouple the DC voltage.

Last edited:
Power the circuit. Put your multimeter to DC voltage. Place the red lead on the output of the circuit (i.e., the tip of the output jack), and place the black lead on a ground point. You shouldn’t have a reading.

C2 and C4 are DC-blocking caps. If you get a reading and those are installed correctly/not shorted, you may have a short somewhere with wiring/switching.

I don't think that that's going to be your problem, though. Any well-designed circuit will have decoupling capacitors at the input and output. Even if the delay unit did not have them, the pedals in the signal path between the fuzz/delay would decouple the DC voltage.

Tested, with no voltage reading.

do both pedals work at the same time when the delay is first in line?

When the delay is before the fuzz it almost works too well. The delay repeats are very loud, and the fuzz seems extra fuzzy. When the fuzz is first, the fuzz sounds normal, but the delay sounds like it is barely on.

Back