Ultimatum Distortion (Proposition)

mkstewartesq

So, being honest, this was not a pedal I would have normally built (mainly because I didn’t even know the Scholz Ultimatum Distortion Generator existed, much less the Proposition version). But I was very lucky that, when the ever-generous @fig sent me some matched JFETs for a phaser build, he very kindly included this board in the package as a gift. And thus we build.

This is most definitely a distortion pedal, not an overdrive. You can turn all the knobs counter clockwise and still this pedal will remain a barren landscape where clean tones can find no purchase. The specialty of this pedal is distortion (a la the Boston sound) coupled with tape saturation compression. In fact, because I had never heard of the original pedal until now, I didn’t know exactly how it works (and we all know that Robert is far too busy creating excellent product to get distracted by things like pedal descriptions in his documentation) - so it wasn’t until I found the original product manual online that I discovered that the gain knob doesn’t actually provide “gain” as we normally think of it. Instead the gain knob adds tape saturation compression to get you even closer to that Boston sound.

So it sounds great for the specific sound it is trying to emulate but, if you are looking to have only one overdrive/distortion, this is not going to give the flexibility of something like a Tube Screamer or Big Muff. In addition, because the gain knob is really a compression control, be advised that cranking up the gain knob is going to make the pedal super noisy, especially with single coil pickups. That being said, it also makes the sustain just go on darn near forever. So it all comes down to what you’re looking for in a dirt pedal.

Some random notes on my build.

1. For the first time, Tayda kind of failed me, although we’re only talking about a dime’s worth of components. The 560p ceramics they sent me were supposed to be + or -20% tolerance; they were actually all about 60% off, measuring in the high 800/low 900 range. So I ended up going through my 680p ceramics until I found some that were in the low 600s and used those instead since they would actually be within the tolerance range for a 560.

2. The specs call for a 1044 charge pump, but I elected to use a 7660 instead to hopefully take any whine out of the audio frequency; I also used shielded input and output cables.

3. In the documentation, Robert takes great pains to note that this build requires a J201 within a very specific value range in order to achieve compression. Having neither the equipment nor the expertise to test for the right value, I just bought 10 J201s and figured I would test them all out to see which sounded best in the pedal. I was very happy with the first one I put in (a ton of compression available) so I’m not gonna worry about auditioning the others right now.

4. For the enclosure, I took my first stab at using film-free decals. Super happy with the way it turned out. I didn’t have any lifting or flaking out the decal while applying it and, after I baked it in the oven to fully cure it, I’ve been surprised at how durable this finish is. It won’t completely replace Tayda UV printing but the final effect is close enough that I no longer feel the need to go through the rigmarole of having them do the printing and waiting a couple of weeks except in unusual circumstances (i.e., where I want a colorful design on an enclosure that is a darker color).

Thanks for looking.

Mike IMG_9265.jpeg IMG_9264.jpeg

Great build! Super clean. Which decals did you use? It looks great. I'm looking to try out some film free ones once I finish the couple regular ones I have left.

Great build! Super clean. Which decals did you use? It looks great. I'm looking to try out some film free ones once I finish the couple regular ones I have left.
I used the Sunnyscopa from Amazon and followed the tutorial in this thread over that the MadBean forums. A couple of things I did that deviated from the tutorial a bit:

1. Rather than use a hair dryer for the first cure, I put it in the over at about 200 degrees F for 10 minutes.
2. When squeegeing out the moisture, I did it more than you might think necessary, to really push the decal down into the glue. This resulted in every last bit of the decal adhering, with none pulling off after the first cure.

Mike

Awesome thanks for the tips. I forgot I was a member over there lol. Checking it out now. Thanks again!

Finally someone found my tutorial useful again. That was quite a while ago. I have changed my routine since then. I also changed to a double bake instead of using the hair dryer. I have only done a couple in the last couple years but the last one I did turned out pretty good. Great job!
I thought that was you given your logo in the pedal shown in the tutorial, but I didn’t want to out you since you were using a different handle there and I didn’t know if there was a reason for that. 😂

And as far as my step of doing an initial bake rather than the hairdryer, I actually stole that from you. It wasn’t in your original tutorial but you had a post on page 5 of that thread where you mentioned trying it, and I thought it went along way to getting the decal to adhere well enough to clean off the glue before the second bake without the decal still being so fragile that you risked taking it off along with the glue.

Thank you for that tutorial – it was awesome and I have publicized it in a couple of threads here.

Mike

I thought that was you given your logo in the pedal shown in the tutorial, but I didn’t want to out you since you were using a different handle there and I didn’t know if there was a reason for that. 😂
@Robert
spiderman-j-jonah-jameson.gif

Back