VN2222 — anyone use it? Uncommon in circuits, why?

Feral Feline

I've got a few of the "VN2222LLRLLRAG from Tayda, and probably a few other versions.
(Various suffixes abound, it seems, "L" "L-D" "LL" "LL-G" "LL-G PO13" etc.)

They seem a suitable replacement for BS170 or 2N7000, and yet the only time I've heard mention of them in a stomp-box-circuit is
PJP likes to have one in his Suzy Q. (👈Link to Tagboard's sea of vero). Yet searching the forum for VN2222, came up completely empty.

Oh, Merlin Blencowe mentioned using it in the switching of the Engineer's Thumb, but IIRC it wasn't in the signal path.
During the prototyping stage I also experimented with electronic bypass, but in the end I went with true bypass as it used fewer parts and took up less space on the PCB, allowing me to fit it into a Hammond 1590B. To avoid the need for a 3PDT footswitch, the MOSFET works in the same way as the Millennium Bypass; when the effect is active the lakage resistance of the diode pulls the gate of the MOSFET up, switching it (and the LED) on. In bypass mode the gate is pulled down by the output level pot, switching the MOSFET off. I haveused both BS170 and VN2222 for this purpose. Some JFETs will also work, but the Vgs(off) needs to be smaller than the LED voltage.

I've tried to compare datasheets of the VN2222 with those of BS170, but even where I see differences I'm unable to determine their significance as I've still so much to learn.

They're made by Calogic, MicroChip, Motorola, On-Semi (Fairchild), Supertex, and maybe a few others I don't know about.

I guess the most interesting usage of VN2222 I've found is it involving modulation in a Rat pedal with some sort of weird tone-stack?

Haven't been able to find anything about the Receptor Agonist pedal, but what a Great Name!
I hope it's a clone of the Metasonix TX-1 SE Agonizer.

So, I was planning on using it for a MOSFET Muff, but my breadboards have other Muffs on 'em at the moment.

Anyone using VN2222 in the audio-path of a build? Thoughts? Opinions or extrapolations?

Cheers,
FF

I wonder if it's any quieter than the 2N7000 or BS170? I recently built a modified '59 Sound overdrive and like how it sounds, but it is a lot noisier than most of my other overdrives.

Just woke up so this may all be wrong
Looks like a switching mower designed to switch at 4.5v
So, 1)don't use with a battery, right?
2)no "sag" ing
3) may sound like crap
4)crap can sound good.
5)may have to be biased just above half vcc?

Thank you for your responses.

Indeed, Jwin615, might be best left to switching duties.

I'll get around to breadboarding a simple circuit with it, just not soon at all.

Back