Why doesn’t everyone use 9mm pots?!?

Rpschultz13

Maybe I know the answer to this… because of availability. But Ive noticed recently that Tayda, Amplified Parts, Stomoboxparts all have a pretty good selection of 9mm pots. Seems that it would allow more flexibility in the pcb designs.

Yes? No? Opinion?

Old farts don't like change.
But really,
Most, especially the cheap ones, have less throw to them. BUT, you can get much higher quality 9mm pots in terms of turns in a lifespan.
Madbean did some 9mm based layouts. I believe most if not all of his 1590A layouts were 9mm.
But at the end of the day, the downward force of a boot is the most common cause of failure.
If one were doing dual sandwhiched board layouts, I think they're almost a must.

It could be argued that 9mm pots take up more board space than a 16mm pot since they’ve got the holes for the support tabs on either side
I could argue those are optional and then they take less space... I won't... But I could.

Likely any pcb meant to fit in a 125B wouldn't really save much space switching to 9mm and, as was mentioned prior, the standard of dictates unless necessity necessitates. VFE uses a mix I believe? Or did?

I bought a couple for an enclosure I drilled poorly. They were fiddly trying to solder wires to the PCB lugs and the interior looks like shit. They work, though! I'd definitely use them on a PCB where they are called for.

Gotta push back on the “twice as expensive” thing. Current pricing at Amplified $1.90 vs $1.25. Or Tayda $0.60 vs $0.40. Not quite twice, but really is it worth quibbling over saving $2-3 per pedal if there is an advantage to using them?!? Mass production is different, but we’re all DIYers.

Gotta push back on the “twice as expensive” thing. Current pricing at Amplified $1.90 vs $1.25. Or Tayda $0.60 vs $0.40. Not quite twice, but really is it worth quibbling over saving $2-3 per pedal if there is an advantage to using them?!? Mass production is different, but we’re all DIYers.
Exactly. Most of us think nothing of springing for a $2 NOS germanium diode vs a $0.02 schottkey as a clipper, but will balk over an extra $0.20 for a pot. That said, with the boards we do, I don’t see much benefit in 9mm pots, esp when some of the crazy values/tapers we use (25k W taper anyone? Dual ganged 50k C taper etc). But I’m open to ideas folks may have that I’m missing

I almost exclusively buy the alpha 16mm pots from tayda for .59 each. The alpha 9mm ones are 1.29. Not a huge difference for one pedal, and I’ll happily buy whatever is spec’d by the pcb designers, but I appreciate saving a buck where I can.
Build the Sproing Deluxe- uses both 9mm and 16mm pots!

There are three reasons I avoid them whenever possible...

1) The metal support tabs can get in the way of other components and there's really no way to use an insulator to combat this
2) The closer pin spacing (especially with dual-gang) makes layouts tricker
3) The threaded collar is usually shorter than a similar 16mm pot so mounting in enclosures with thicker walls can be a problem (and makes faceplates impossible)

Last edited:
With the holdover tabs, I’d hope I never had to replace one!

My "secret weapon" flat blade soldering iron tip makes it easier, but still not something I enjoy doing.

It'd probably be easier to just clip them and remove separately if you can reach them.

I would have thought the opposite since 9mm pots are sealed. I don't recall ever having to replace a defective 9mm pot.
I’ve never had any firsthand problems with them, but I’ve seen complaints about them online which I’ve been skeptical of, but also I have replaced them for local musicians a handful of times on production pedals bc the shaft seized up and couldn’t be turned at all for whatever reason. My guess is they’re more reliable from a standard-use standpoint, but maybe they don’t hold up as well to physical shock (from getting accidentally kicked or something like that) which has never been an issue for me since I’m not a barbarian who stomps into the knobs on my pedals 🤣

I personally have no issue with them— just sharing what I had seen complaints of in the past

maybe they don’t hold up as well to physical shock (from getting accidentally kicked or something like that) which has never been an issue for me since I’m not a barbarian who stomps into the knobs on my pedals 🤣

Folks can break anything if they try hard enough. 😂

beatts3.jpg

Back