Voodoo Lab Overdrive clone

cdwillis

I laid out PCBs for the Voodoo Lab Overdrive (not the Sparkle Drive) a while back. It was their idea of an improved version of the DOD 250 and kind of the precursor to the OCD if you're not familiar with it. Voodoo Lab discontinued it in the late 90s or maybe early 2000s. It was an easy circuit to lay out and build rather than pay some collector way too much for an old one on Reverb.

As usual none of my shit is labeled lol.

338194734_3466629976895152_6306267174082455668_n.jpeg 338728514_777548723991524_8431390035289934599_n.jpeg

This has been sitting for weeks while I toyed around with other projects.

Someone else actually built one of these boards before I got around to it (the project is on OSH Park). They didn't think it had as much gain as they anticipated, but it sounded good and could be pushed with a pedal in front.

It's got a lot of volume to push the amplifier. The low pass filter in the gain section is basically full blast, so at max gain it's a real fat tweedy distortion sorta sound. As you turn it up you get more treble too. Why they didn't put a simple low pass filter after the diodes like a Rat I'll never understand. I played it with my LP through my Marshall DSL earlier. For a two knob pedal it's got some different tones as far as pushing the amp with clean signal, drive, or distortion. I haven't messed with it on bass yet. That may sound better than on the guitar since it retains a lot of low end. A mod I read about was to switch the 47k resistor in the feedback loop to 2.2k to increase the gain and cut a low end with the gain up like a DOD 250.

I laid out PCBs for the Voodoo Lab Overdrive (not the Sparkle Drive) a while back. It was their idea of an improved version of the DOD 250 and kind of the precursor to the OCD if you're not familiar with it. Voodoo Lab discontinued it in the late 90s or maybe early 2000s. It was an easy circuit to lay out and build rather than pay some collector way too much for an old one on Reverb.

As usual none of my shit is labeled lol.

View attachment 45528 View attachment 45529

This has been sitting for weeks while I toyed around with other projects.

Someone else actually built one of these boards before I got around to it (the project is on OSH Park). They didn't think it had as much gain as they anticipated, but it sounded good and could be pushed with a pedal in front.

It's got a lot of volume to push the amplifier. The low pass filter in the gain section is basically full blast, so at max gain it's a real fat tweedy distortion sorta sound. As you turn it up you get more treble too. Why they didn't put a simple low pass filter after the diodes like a Rat I'll never understand. I played it with my LP through my Marshall DSL earlier. For a two knob pedal it's got some different tones as far as pushing the amp with clean signal, drive, or distortion. I haven't messed with it on bass yet. That may sound better than on the guitar since it retains a lot of low end. A mod I read about was to switch the 47k resistor in the feedback loop to 2.2k to increase the gain and cut a low end with the gain up like a DOD 250.
I’m the someone else! Not trying to hijack the thread, but here’s m’thoughts. The layout is great, it’s an easy build and a very satisfying pedal to use. I pushed my amp (Orange Rocker 15 Terror) with it and also tried pushing the VL itself with a Chop Shop and a Mercurial boost. I put a muff-a-like into it as well. I use it as a fattener-upper if that makes sense. Well done @cdwillis

I’m the someone else! Not trying to hijack the thread, but here’s m’thoughts. The layout is great, it’s an easy build and a very satisfying pedal to use. I pushed my amp (Orange Rocker 15 Terror) with it and also tried pushing the VL itself with a Chop Shop and a Mercurial boost. I put a muff-a-like into it as well. I use it as a fattener-upper if that makes sense. Well done @cdwillis
Are these still available at Osh?

Shit, I just realized I forgot to put the link to the OSH Park project when I typed out the first post. Sorry everybody.

The pots are spaced out so you can use the PedalPCB drilling template to mark your holes. It's the 1.3" spacing, the two middle holes at the top. The LED hole is the one right next to the footswitch on the drill template as well. If you look up "3pdt bb" you should be able to find the 3pdt breakout board with the LED pads. Not sure if this link will work:

Since I didn't put an LED spot on the main pcb, if you wanna use an LED without a footswitch you need to run it to the pins on the switch.

Yep. 1n4148s. Here's the OSH Park project:

And a parts value cheat sheet:

C1 10nf
C2 100nf
C3 220pf
C4 1nf
C5 2.2uf
C6 220pf
C7 2.2uf
C8 100uf
C9 100nf
C10 100uf

R1 2.2m
R2 10k
R3 470k
R4 47k
R5 470k
R6 10k
R7 10k
R8 47k
R9 150k
R10 150 ohm
R11 47k
R12 47k
LEDR 2.2k

D1 1n4148
D2 1n4148
D3 1n5817

Drive pot C500k
Level pot B100k

You could sub an A100k for the volume pot, the original used a linear one and the sweep gets loud quickly.

Back