What is your go to DMM

My bench meter is a Fluke 87V, but my absolute favorite is my old Fluke 10.

It has no bells nor whistles, but it does what it does better than anything else.

0004584_fluke-10-multimeter_750.jpeg

Another Fluke 115 over here. It's a great value. I also have an Aneng AN8008 which works well enough for pedal builds and would recommend it as a bridge meter if you don't have one.

Mostly use one like this (mine looks just like this, but has a different nonsensical brand name) lately:

A while back, I needed something not-too-expensive that read Hz, in order to help calibrate a MIDI-to-CV module kit. And someone in a Synth DIY forum recommended it.

It’s compact and I can use it to check ohms and continuity too, which is 90% of what I need for pedals.

I’ve got a Fluke 376 at work (I’m in electrical maintenance). It does seem durable and reliable, but overkill for what I need (or can afford) pedal-hobby-wise ;)

I have an old Fluke 70-III I bought years ago when I had no idea what I was doing. (Now of course I know everything) It's similar to the 115 but doesn't have amperage or capacitance testing. I use it all the time for voltage readings and DC resistance. Because it's old it has developed a couple of "secret" settings at each end of of the dial. Either that or it's just that the switch has broken.

Fluke are expensive because they are designed for electricians and other professionals, and they’ve built up a reputation over time for being durable and accurate. Having reliable tools and test instruments is pretty important when you’re working on stuff that can kill people.

Do you need a very-high-resolution, 600V rated, rugged meter for de-bugging pedals? Probably not. But if you can find one on sale, or a decent used one, it might be the last meter you ever need to buy.

Christ, I hate contemporary youtube... Two minutes in, and have only heard him saying the same things over and over... Eleven minutes in, and I have barely been listening and moved on with my things here.
I thought it was pretty good video. I like that guy though. He does some great white board videos on electronics concepts that have been helpful to me.

I thought it was pretty good video. I like that guy though. He does some great white board videos on electronics concepts that have been helpful to me.
It did clear up why these things sell at such a price, for sure. But the long-windedness of it all, it's such a common way to lengthen content without adding value. In a time where everyone is busy with lots of things all the time, it boggles my mind that straight to the point videos have become such a rare luxury.

The content of this video was maybe two or three alinea of info at best. It's crazy

It did clear up why these things sell at such a price, for sure. But the long-windedness of it all, it's such a common way to lengthen content without adding value. In a time where everyone is busy with lots of things all the time, it boggles my mind that straight to the point videos have become such a rare luxury.

The content of this video was maybe two or three alinea of info at best. It's crazy
I actually enjoy goofy faces in thumbnails, haaawwwwyeee at the beginning of the video and long-form content to milk the views...

..not!

The advantages of Fluke:

1. Production runs of the same models for decades. Large institutions such as DOD and corporations rely on these tools not changing. Training, documentation....

2. Lifetime warranty.

3. Made in USA.

They are designed to work at various extreme temperatures and still give much the same results. They use higher tolerance parts with very wide operating temperature ranges. At least that's their justification.

I have a Fluke and as I mentioned it's starting to fall to bits. Well, the big rotary switch is able to click several notches past its previous limits. But it works and I like it because it feels more solid than my cheaper meters. Mind you, I bought mine before I knew you could buy cheaper meters. Still, I do usually buy better tools because in general you don't need to buy so many.

Back