What's on the workbench?

Kreuzer Submarine! Really awesome tone-conditioning type of bass preamp. Really happy to see this here.

EDIT: Or rather the Zeibek pedal of the same name, which I think was a collab with Kreuzer...? 🤔

Last edited:
View attachment 68705

😂😂

You think the outside looks bad?... 😬

I almost passed on it to be honest, but it's apparently pretty rare and highly desirable amongst the bass crowd.
Well I wouldn’t have known it was any different to a stripped down Ictineo … intrigued in them both…
And thank you for supporting us bass players too!

That must be an early one you got, Robert, because it's still an "ElectroniX" branded one before Osman changed the company name to "Ziebek";
Further to it being an early one, if I'm not mistaken the later Ziebek Subs had a mids switch on the tone control.

According to @johnk_10, the tone toggle "goes from flat, scooped or boosted mids."
<Mr Kallas, I know you recently built another one of these, any chance of a demo?>

The tone control is basically a Big Muff HPF/LPF EQ, so it would be easy enough to add the tone toggle and tailor it to taste.
PCB-etch layouts, and vero-layouts, for this are floating around the Internet (the schematic is over at FSB), but I'd rather have a proper PCB —
I'm delighted that we'll have a board for the Sub, soon.

For those unfamiliar with this pedal and seeking more info, you can go spelunking for "Kreuzer Bass Preamp" online; you'll find more info specific to the Submarine on Talk Bass' effects forum.

onboard_sch submarine kreuzer.gif

SUBMARINE CLONE JOHNK midswitch.jpg

Happy sub-versions folks,
FF

SUBMARINE CAT.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I added the (optional) UltraBASS control:
View attachment 68757

I'm assuming the midrange switch is probably similar to the Flat / Sub / 600Hz Boost switch in the Designer / Drebbel.

Yes, according to some old research on TalkBass I'd completely forgotten about, at least one version of the Submarine had a toggle that matched the later Submarine Designer's ULTRABASS.

BTB, the links in above TB link are link-incontinentals, ie Os' Ziebek site is no longer online ie dead, but anyone wanting Submarine Designer manuals can still DL them online elsewhere.

It's been weird combing through old TB threads looking for info on the Sub-Designer/Ictineo — so much info I'm rediscovering even though I once knew...

Sorry, what were we talking about?

Right! So the Ultrabass control is NOT a tone-stack modifier that gets you bumped, flat, scooped mids. It does something else to change the EQ point, I think. If you look at the Submarine Designer, ULTRABASS is not part of the Modifier switches, which given the Freqs would be responsible for modifying the tone stack itself.

ZEIBEK Submarine Designer clear labelling.jpg

So, when all the switches are set to "SUB" and the body control is at the asterisk, "*", the SubDesigner/Ictineo replicate the original ElectroniX/Zeibek Submarine — according to the SubD manual.

Some other interesting titbits I came across: the original-original Submarine was issued in a plastic enclosure and was recalled by Os — this earliest version didn't have enough headroom and would distort in a bad way when driven hard.

So, do I wait for the Sub to surface in the shop and add it to my Drebbel build?
Surely two subs are better than one.

Is there any chance you would share it?
I'm looking for that delay pedal.
Yep, it's the same circuit.

I've traced the "Poontang Boomerang" as well, if you're going for a theme. 😂

Yes please!!
While we’re at it, why not the 1987 as well. Might as well go for the whole big hair theme (irony lost in not seeing that I’m bald)

Back