Which soldering iron do you like?

That’s actually why I’m leaning towards the Weller, lol. Plus I saw a cool mod to add an LED that glows out the bottom when it’s turned on. So, I’m all scientisty.
It’s a coin flip.

When I read the instructions for the Hakko, I knew my head would explode if I paid for it and tried to use it. I need really easy buttons. The we1010 has up and down arrows. Easy.

Heats up to 650 F in a few seconds.

Either one would be a massive upgrade

So, my entry-level Weller just went kaput and it’s time to get a replacement. My biggest gripe about that one was the time it took to get up to temp. And the temp never seemed consistent while it was on. Sometime it would be perfect and the solder would flow like cream, other times it was like trying to melt some rebar or something.

Between the FX888 and the WE1010, is it basically a coin flip? One looks like it’s from ikea, the other from the 80s, and I’m cool with either one.
I didn't like the play-school colours of the 888D.
I didn't like the klunky dated-looking WE1010.

So I went with my little silver-surfer solderer...

In spite of Hakko's goofball decision to listen to the designer instead of the engineers, I've managed to get on with the simplified control system.
(hint to Hakko, it would've been simpler and intuitive to have up/down arrows buttons — Weller gets extra points for that simple concept alone.)

(C'mon Weller, do ALL of your machines have to look like a BAD version of a 50s design that was still being made into the badder 60s and worse 70s...?)

Last edited:
So, my entry-level Weller just went kaput and it’s time to get a replacement. My biggest gripe about that one was the time it took to get up to temp. And the temp never seemed consistent while it was on. Sometime it would be perfect and the solder would flow like cream, other times it was like trying to melt some rebar or something.

Between the FX888 and the WE1010, is it basically a coin flip? One looks like it’s from ikea, the other from the 80s, and I’m cool with either one.
IMG_4336.jpeg
I’ve been pretty happy with this one.

In spite of Hakko's goofball decision to listen to the designer instead of the engineers, I've managed to get on with the simplified control system.
(hint to Hakko, it would've been simpler and intuitive to have up/down arrows buttons — Weller gets extra points for that simple concept alone.)
Isn't that the opposite? The designer would probably have wanted arrow buttons or a knob but the engineer asked for 50 menus of custom options then the penny pinchers made the final decision.
(As they say in design circles, a giraffe is a horse designed by a committee.)

Isn't that the opposite? The designer would probably have wanted arrow buttons or a knob but the engineer asked for 50 menus of custom options then the penny pinchers made the final decision.
(As they say in design circles, a giraffe is a horse designed by a committee.)
Nope.

Hakko hired a famous designer to give the 888 a unique look, as it was to replace the time-tested venerable 936.

The designer insisted on the cleanest look possible while the engineers voted for a conventional and practical user-interface.

I’d quote my source, but
A) I’m on my phone;
B) Not sure I bookmarked on my computer the article I read.

Nope.

Hakko hired a famous designer to give the 888 a unique look, as it was to replace the time-tested venerable 936.

The designer insisted on the cleanest look possible while the engineers voted for a conventional and practical user-interface.

I’d quote my source, but
A) I’m on my phone;
B) Not sure I bookmarked on my computer the article I read.
I see. I don't understand why a designer looking for a clean look wouldn't choose a knob or up/down arrows for temperature instead of the perverted UI they went for :)

The FX888D is a solid choice (notwithstanding the WTF controls), but I almost always use a T12-knockoff instead. One knob to set the temp. Like this one:

how did you solder a soldering iron?

I've had the Hakko 951 for years and it was worth the extra bucks, IMO. Hot swappable tips have come in handy a couple of times, too. But, there no reason to spend that much either.

Plus, the Hakko FR300 desoldering gun and EREM cutters. All expensive stuff but if you build a lot the good tools are well worth it and they last basically forever.

Wait - no, I did have to replace parts on the FR300 which was expensive. But, it's such a handy tool that it's well earned its price tag.

When I do solder....for most small stuff, the ADS200. You can dance through 30-40 resistor leads like a butterfly tru-dee flowers. For heavier gauge/longer heat, a Black Beauty...it takes like 3 days to heat up....and about the same to cool down....:ROFLMAO:

I have used the Harbor Freight Schneider $40 temp controlled soldering iron for a year and I've more than gotten my money out of it. Haven't once considered"upgrading". Of course there are better ones out there, but damn have I been surprised by how well it has work for me. Still on the same tip for last November when I started.

Back