Which soldering iron do you like?

I use this. It has less flux than the no clean stuff. The only thing I clean is the little bit on the tip side of the board around pot and switch lugs.
Kester 24-6337-8800 50 Activated Rosin Cored Wire Solder Roll, 245 No-Clean, 63/37 Alloy, 0.031" Diameter https://a.co/d/bO6g9EF

This shit is the shit. Bought it on Chris’s recommendation and it was like leveling up.

You can almost always find way better deals on eBay for solder. Here's a pound Kester Solder 24-6337-8801 / #245-No-Clean Flux / Sn63Pb37 63-37 /.031" / 2% for about $32 free shipping, or about 30 if you buy 2 or 3 pounds.

I just bought 2 :cool: Thanks to the OP for this post, I've been meaning to stock up and this is a good deal.

Metcal MX500 iron here. Once you go Metcal, you can't go back -- especially for surface mount work. You hold it like a pen. Fingers really close to the tip for ultimate precision. Very expensive, but you can get used ones for more reasonable $$. Tips can be changed in seconds, and go from cold to nominal temperature in seconds. And stay exactly there, +/- 2 degrees. I used to work for Harris Corp, they only used Metcal, and I got hooked.

I used Hakko stations for over 20 years and had the older FX888 (the analog model) for about 10 years with no issues. Until recently Hakko soldering stations have been the equivalent of Fluke DMMs for me, there is no alternative and I don't even bother looking at any other brands.

I upgraded to a pair of Pace stations about a year ago, one for a standard iron and the other for SMD tweezers. The hotswappable tips are nice but overall I can't say it does a "better" job than the Hakko. The base units stack so they take up less bench space than a dual station.

The iron is lighter and thinner so easier to maneuver into tight spaces for SMD component removal but the Hakko seems to have a bit more mass and retains temperature better while soldering. One (minimal) advantage of the Pace is how fast it heats up.... by the time I flip on the power switch and grab the iron it's ready to go, where the Hakko takes about a minute to heat up.

As far as temperature adjustments are concerned, I've probably only touched the temperature adjustments a handful of times in my life. I prefer to run my iron a little too hot, the solder flows better and I spent less time on a joint. Every once in a while I try to turn it down to a "proper" setting but end up cranking it back up a few days later.

I'd definitely recommend the Hakko unless you need something more. If you get the FX888 or FX888D go ahead and order some spare barrels, you'll need them when it comes time to change the tip. They tend to always seize up in there.

Just reaffirming the Hakko FX888D comments. I already had one for soldering in my radio controlled hobby.
And it really is a great iron. Great recovery rate. Two of the local electronics stores carry the proper tips so I consider myself lucky in that aspect.
I also absolutely love my Hakko FR301-3 desoldering iron! Talk about relieving stress when you have to change out a part! I now use it to harvest parts off old controller boards at work that became obsolete before they were used. Relays, Switches, tantalum caps.
Are they the best irons? Maybe not. But they are great and the best I've owned so far.

Well I ended up despite the glowing recommendations for the hakko im going to try the one that I originally linked that @steviejr92 said he had. Came this morning haven’t tried it yet. I like to abuse mr bezos’s return policy. (Just tried a 15w stsgeprice ti compare to a blues jr I just picked up). Anyways we’ll see. I’ve got two kids in daycare it’s like making a second mortgage every month gotta save a buck where I can lol.m

It also occured to me I did one of my own pet peeves here asked for advice ignored it and did what I was originally thinking. My apologies was a great discussion though think I will try that kester solder when it comes time.

reading through all these recommendations for such life-changing irons kinda makes me feel like a bit of a moron...

i've been sticking with the same cheap iron since i started this hobby (in 2020).
yeah it takes a bit to warm up, but otherwise haven't had a problem.

am i missing out? idk.

It’s going to serve you well! You made a good decision!
Seriously though it always annoys me when people do this.
reading through all these recommendations for such life-changing irons kinda makes me feel like a bit of a moron...

i've been sticking with the same cheap iron since i started this hobby (in 2020).
yeah it takes a bit to warm up, but otherwise haven't had a problem.

am i missing out? idk.
My 15$ iron really did work great I learned how to solder with it. It has gone noticeably down hill though. I think it was @Mcknib and actually on Reddit we discussed the cheap Amazon irons and their benefits.

I’m not following lol did I say something wrong? 😅

Edit: Oh I think you’re talking about the pet peeve thing don’t mind me! 🫠

Forgive me it’s like 1am over here my brain is melting! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: fig
Back