Who Else Is Using the 'SpinCAD Designer' App?

Cybercow

It feels lonely in here. Anyone else using the 'SpinCAD Designer' app?

Whatcha doing with it? Which version are you using and on what platform? Successes? Issues? Need help? Want to share stories/explorations?

Echo_Chorus_St-In_MD.spcd.png

I need to get back into it. I have a bunch of extra PCBs from an old project where I made a version of the VHS (JHS VCR) but with a Golden Fleece for gain (not a clean boost), tremolo instead of chorus, and an extra spacey reverb. I'm hoping to swap the reverb for a phaser to pair with the tremolo.

I'm also looking at combining FV-1 reverb with analog resonant reverb. Basically making a version of the EQD Transmisser. Does anyone have a favorite lush reverb? Should I check out octave verb?

I need to get back into it. I have a bunch of extra PCBs from an old project where I made a version of the VHS (JHS VCR) but with a Golden Fleece for gain (not a clean boost), tremolo instead of chorus, and an extra spacey reverb. I'm hoping to swap the reverb for a phaser to pair with the tremolo.

I'm also looking at combining FV-1 reverb with analog resonant reverb. Basically making a version of the EQD Transmisser. Does anyone have a favorite lush reverb? Should I check out octave verb?
I think PedalPCB's "Deflector Reverb" EEPROM would be a great verb as a starting point for use with an analog resonant verb.

I think the Octave Verb is in reality a 'Shimmer Verb'. There are several "Shimmer Verb" patches available on the net for the FV-1.

I don't get much time to mess with it. I've had fun with it, but can never figure out how to get things to act the way I want.

Need to work on some swell reverbs and other "big"/infinite style reverbs to couple with delays. That edge of infinite delay+reverb is fun.
What I stupidly want to do is put a delay line through a slow gear- style to mess with the attack/decay. Don't think it would do anything, but would be something to try.

I don't get much time to mess with it. I've had fun with it, but can never figure out how to get things to act the way I want.

Need to work on some swell reverbs and other "big"/infinite style reverbs to couple with delays. That edge of infinite delay+reverb is fun.
What I stupidly want to do is put a delay line through a slow gear- style to mess with the attack/decay. Don't think it would do anything, but would be something to try.
For non-programmers, SpinCAD is probably the easiest way to create one's own patches. But as you've noted, it's not entirely intuitive. Thankfully, Digital Larry has posted some excellent Documentation and Tutorials on GitHub. Be sure to check out the menu on the left side of the screen. Like most things electronic, a bit of reading is required to gain a better understanding.

For non-programmers, SpinCAD is probably the easiest way to create one's own patches. But as you've noted, it's not entirely intuitive. Thankfully, Digital Larry has posted some excellent Documentation and Tutorials on GitHub. Be sure to check out the menu on the left side of the screen. Like most things electronic, a bit of reading is required to gain a better understanding.
I had followed his writings for a while, but I didn't realize he put a bit more of his knowledge in-depth on a site. I'll work through some of the weird things that always trip me up (scale, noise, etc.)

I had followed his writings for a while, but I didn't realize he put a bit more of his knowledge in-depth on a site. I'll work through some of the weird things that always trip me up (scale, noise, etc.)
For me, I experienced real leaps in knowledge and improved results by reading his tutorials & 'block descriptions' while playing with them in the SpinCAD Designer.
It's a genuine rabbit-hole. 🐇

I do pop in here from time to time, feel free to ask questions about specific things, I'll try to help while I still remember. I don't actually use it myself too much any more but am beyond pleased at how many people have done really nice things with it. And of course there are things you can't do with it etc.

Pro tip: learn to use the Scale/Offset block.

Pro tip: learn to use the Scale/Offset block.
This was key for me in trying to figure out how to acquire the settings for a delay/verb and chorus wherein the user could set the control pots to minimum and have the default settings used for mimicking the Rockman X100's "BOTH" (Echo/Chorus). Anything after (above) those minimum settings would reach beyond the X100's defaults. Until I discovered how the Scale/Offset worked, I struggled with finding consistent settings to get the X100 default sound for "BOTH". Scale/Offset is a pretty nifty feature in SpinCAD.

Thanks Larry!

This was key for me in trying to figure out how to acquire the settings for a delay/verb and chorus wherein the user could set the control pots to minimum and have the default settings used for mimicking the Rockman X100's "BOTH" (Echo/Chorus). Anything after (above) those minimum settings would reach beyond the X100's defaults. Until I discovered how the Scale/Offset worked, I struggled with finding consistent settings to get the X100 default sound for "BOTH". Scale/Offset is a pretty nifty feature in SpinCAD.

Thanks Larry!
Ahhhh Rockman! Now you are speaking my language!

Hi all! I'm very new to all this stuff and I'm trying to stay on the edge of the rabbit hole and have some fun.
Spincad is great for this! Thanks Larry.
Btw I'm trying to do a reverb with two pitched voices and I'd like to have and infinite/pad reverb when Pot0 at max but no success at the moment. Any suggestion?
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-21 alle 16.51.25.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-21 alle 16.51.25.png
    284.8 KB · Views: 14
Hi all! I'm very new to all this stuff and I'm trying to stay on the edge of the rabbit hole and have some fun.
Spincad is great for this! Thanks Larry.
Btw I'm trying to do a reverb with two pitched voices and I'd like to have and infinite/pad reverb when Pot0 at max but no success at the moment. Any suggestion?
Thanks!
Let's see the rest of your Control Panel settings for the other blocks please.

How are the pitch shifters, low pass and high pass filters set?

Thanks Cybercow, here are all the settings...
OK, your 2nd iteration is different from your first. So I'm going with your latest. But more importantly, what aspect of your patch are finding difficult to achieve?

In testing your settings, I find the verb gets very muddy when Pot0 is turned up. But when I turned the Scale Offset 'Output Low' down from 66 to 15, the reverb control (Pot0) seemed more digestible.

Also, when I moved the pitch elements in front of the Small Reverb block, things cleaned up a good bit too.

Still, without a more complete understanding of what you're trying to achieve, I'm not sure how much help I can provide.

It looks like the maximum feedback is 0.9 for that block, so it won't ever do infinite.

See
You can of course edit the Spin ASM if you like. I'll spend a little time this weekend seeing if I can concoct something. I did not focus much on "infinite hold" possibilities when coming up with SpinCAD. Here are a few general concepts to deal with when "cranking the feedback".

- too much loop gain will cause overload which can cause the chip to lock up unless you block DC in the loop with a high pass filter (single pole is adequate)
- try using a limiter block in the feedback path to help keep things under control

DL

Back