Why would anybody

These were designed in-house to match vintage spec and then custom-made for our customers. The price reflects that process - we'd make it cheaper if we could! We're always looking to reduce costs so if we find a way to do it, we will. We are hoping to fill a gap in the market for folks looking for this specific enclosure - we certainly have others available for much cheaper.
Yeah, respect. I had the same knee jerk sticker shock reaction but then i remembered that nice things cost more to produce than standard things. It's certainly a pretty box.

To do a one off it would cost more than $100. Tayda incredible pricing kinda makes you forget how must shops just aren’t geared for doing small orders.

If it's who I'm thinking of, they used to do one-offs for semi-reasonable prices. The new owners got a bit greedy.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't do UV printed / powdercoated enclosures for Tayda prices either, but $100 is a bit outrageous... And they aren't much more affordable in higher quantities.

If it's who I'm thinking of, they used to do one-offs for semi-reasonable prices. The new owners got a bit greedy.

Don't get me wrong, I couldn't do UV printed / powdercoated enclosures for Tayda prices either, but $100 is a bit outrageous... And they aren't much more affordable in higher quantities.
Everyone I interacted with was extremely helpful, but yea, the price is just too much for me considering the competition's current cost. And yea, when I did the calc for doing $25 enclosures it was also prohibitively expensive. So much so that it makes you kinda worry about how much Tayda pay their employees, but different countries = different costs of living as I assume their printing facilities is in Thailand as well but I'm not 100% sure on that.

So much so that it makes you kinda worry about how much Tayda pay their employees, but different countries = different costs of living as I assume their printing facilities is in Thailand as well but I'm not 100% sure on that.
Exactly. Amidst all the strife and turmoil in the world presently, when I think about things like this, I tell myself to be thankful for what we have in comparison. It's an important reality check. Hopefully none of us are living in hunger/famine, or homelessness, or through war, etc. I seriously hope so.

Don’t know the quantities these are being made in, but as a (former) machine/prototype owner, that seems like a easily justifiable cost to me, and I’m a bit of a cheapskate.

Even though I could price out projects by “gut” pretty accurately, I made a habit of breaking down per step costs and materials on almost every project. And I usually got sticker shock when I looked at the totals on the spreadsheet.

Back