Woodpecker Build Issues (New Version)

Melba Toast

Hi all,

I populated the board for the newest Woodpecker version (Q1 PF5102, Q2 2N5088, Q3 2N6027) and when I connected it to my testing rig I got signal when the switch is on, but only as a boost and no oscillation or changes in depth from the other two pots. The Level pot is the only one that affects signal. I know this was an issue some people ran into with the older versions of the board that often had to do with the transistors, but I was wondering if anyone else had run into this issue with this version (PCB132 rev2 is printed on the back). I socketed the transistors and have tried multiple transistors at each position with the same results and I'm not getting any of the ticking people often talk about with the build.

Thanks in advance,

MT

IMG_3990.jpg

IMG_3991.jpg

HI all,

Yep just sounds like this one didn't work out for me, good to know others got it working just fine. Like I said I'll just use this board as a JFET boost for another project. Thanks for all the help though.

MT

HI all,

Yep just sounds like this one didn't work out for me, good to know others got it working just fine. Like I said I'll just use this board as a JFET boost for another project. Thanks for all the help though.

MT
It happens. I've screwed up plenty. Sometimes you get to a point where you're out of troubleshooting ideas. It's really not a big deal to just start over.

Last edited:
As a heads up I used a B25K pot for the depth and that seemed to make everything come alive. I noticed if it was only about halfway up with the toggle in the middle setting it only sounded like a boost, That would have made it right around the 10k mark like the original pot.

Just something to try and see if that works.

I just built mine, and same issue. Volume pot works, and acts like a clean boost, but no changes with either of the depth or rate pots. I do have PF5102 which seems to work fine acting as the boost. Also used 2n5089 which I either got from Mouser or Tayda. And using 2n6027, which I got off of Ebay from China. If I remove the 2n5089, there is no change in anything. If I remove the 2n6027 and turn the depth full clockwise, i get no sound. With the 2n6027 installed and turn full clockwise there is sound.

JJJimi84,

Did you have nothing but clean boost before switching the depth to a 25K?

I just built mine, and same issue. Volume pot works, and acts like a clean boost, but no changes with either of the depth or rate pots. I do have PF5102 which seems to work fine acting as the boost. Also used 2n5089 which I either got from Mouser or Tayda. And using 2n6027, which I got off of Ebay from China. If I remove the 2n5089, there is no change in anything. If I remove the 2n6027 and turn the depth full clockwise, i get no sound. With the 2n6027 installed and turn full clockwise there is sound.

JJJimi84,

Did you have nothing but clean boost before switching the depth to a 25K?

I never used the 10k pot all i had on hand was a 25k.

And using 2n6027, which I got off of Ebay from China.

I'd be suspicious of this. These are still in production and available from Mouser. Ordering them from China opens you up to the same issues that were happening with the Revision 1 PCB.

It sounds like your LFO (2N6027) isn't oscillating properly.

We'll assume the PF5102 is working correctly.

When you turn the Depth control all the way clockwise you're allowing the 2N5089 to completely shunt all signal to ground. Since this doesn't happen with the 2N6027 removed we'll assume the 2N5089 is good, and the base is being pulled low by the LFO circuit (2N6027).

I just tried all (10) of the China 2n6027, and none worked. I see one on Amazon and Mouser, but 10 to 12 dollars. Do you happen to have one that you know works you would be willing to sell?

But shipping costs from Mouser add up to around $12.00. And I just ordered all my parts for my (2) new builds. So I do not want to pay $12 just for one part, and I am not sure if the problem is the 2n6027.

But shipping costs from Mouser add up to around $12.00. And I just ordered all my parts for my (2) new builds. So I do not want to pay $12 just for one part, and I am not sure if the problem is the 2n6027.
Yeah I hear ya...
I have some extra 2n6027 if that could help... I’ll check and see if I have any 2N6027s...

Back