Woodpecker Tremolo - aka The Rooster

chris.knudson

Build Rating
3.00 star(s)
Ok, so everyone has a cursed build from time to time. This was my first (but probably not my last). I built this thing originally with some wrong resistor values -- to the point where I could barely achieve unity gain with it. After that rework, I still wasn't getting modulation from the pedal. Turned out that I had some bogus transistors from our friends at Amazon. So @Robert kindly ordered me some replacement transistors, which I couldn't just swap out because I broke off a transistor leg in one of my sockets and I pulled the machine part out of another socket. Fast forward -- I replace all of the sockets and transistors, but apparently I broke something else in the process. I refused to give up, however, and I ordered a new PCB from @Robert. After my second (or perhaps 3rd/4th attempt), I can happily report success. I finally got this thing working tonight. Whew...

The graphics were another thing. This was one of my pedals from my first attempt at film-free waterslides. I baked the glue on for too long, and as a result, I ended up rubbing off some of the graphic trying to get the glue off. Some of that first batch are getting sanded down and refinished, but this one was close enough for me to just say WTH.

As for how it sounds, turns out that this is a pretty decent Tremolo pedal. I wouldn't call it great, but I haven't had an analog tremolo on my board for a long time. Gotta say it's a nice addition.

As a bass player, I don't think this will find a permanent home on my board -- definitely more a guitar player pedal, but I'm having fun with it nevertheless.

Thanks you to everyone who helped me troubleshoot this build, and a special thanks to @Robert and @Erik S for helping me finally get this thing working.

1707789246691.png

1707789170102.png

Last edited:
Everybody has a cursed build once in a while (I did a whole build report around a cursed build of my own just a couple of weeks ago) – but, to my eyes, what you ended up with certainly looks like it was worth all the hell you went through. Nice build, and great job on the film free decal!

Mike

Everybody has a cursed build once in a while (I did a whole build report around a cursed build of my own just a couple of weeks ago) – but, to my eyes, what you ended up with certainly looks like it was worth all the hell you went through. Nice build, and great job on the film free decal!

Mike
Thanks Mike. You're partly to blame for this thing too.

Ok, so everyone has a cursed build from time to time. This was my first (but probably not my last). I built this thing originally with some wrong resistor values -- to the point where I could barely achieve unity gain with it. After that rework, I still wasn't getting modulation from the pedal. Turned out that I had some bogus transistors from our friends at Amazon. So @Robert kindly ordered me some replacement transistors, which I couldn't just swap out because I broke off a transistor leg in one of my sockets and I pulled the machine part out of another socket. Fast forward -- I replace all of the sockets and transistors, but apparently I broke something else in the process. I refused to give up, however, and I ordered a new PCB from @Robert. After my second (or perhaps 3rd/4th attempt), I can happily report success. I finally got this thing working tonight. Whew...

The graphics were another thing. This was one of my pedals from my first attempt at film-free waterslides. I baked the glue on for too long, and as a result, I ended up rubbing off some of the graphic trying to get the glue off. Some of that first batch are getting sanded down and refinished, but this one was close enough for me to just say WTH.

As for how it sounds, turns out that this is a pretty decent Tremolo pedal. I wouldn't call it great, but I haven't had an analog tremolo on my board for a long time. Gotta say it's a nice addition.

As a bass player, I don't think this will find a permanent home on my board -- definitely more a guitar player pedal, but I'm having fun with it nevertheless.

Thanks you to everyone who helped me troubleshoot this build, and a special thanks to @Robert and @Erik S for helping me finally get this thing working.

View attachment 68313

View attachment 68312
As much as we enjoy the builds that are perfect the first time we fire them up, having one that forces us to really think outside the box and dig in are often the most satisfying (and educational)!
Nice job on this! Need to look into the film less water slide sometime.

Back