Working on a Rat for Bass with Clean Blend

KR Sound

I hacked my current rat board with the Split n Blend circuit, and it worked great. So I'm basically just wrapping what I have with the SnB.

1707411446181.png

I'm wondering if I should alter this section any because of it, or leave it be

1707411494726.png

Here's the pcb layout. I should make the J201 footprints compatible with the through hole ones maybe. But I have hundreds of SMDs on hand.

1707411586394.png

Last edited:
I'd think you'd want potentially more bass through there.
Maybe a dip switch to alter caps or use a trimmer to blend between two?
That way you can voice it how you want then close it up.
Ive yet to put full range bass into a rat so not sure how farty it gets.

I'd think you'd want potentially more bass through there.
Maybe a dip switch to alter caps or use a trimmer to blend between two?
That way you can voice it how you want then close it up.
Ive yet to put full range bass into a rat so not sure how farty it gets.

Yes- I’m definitely going to be experimenting with the cap values. I just used my previous rat schem to get it laid out.

Can't you run both sections off that same input buffer?
That I don’t know tbh and would love to know. It’s a rip off is the Split n Blend schem.

Yes sir, that's the one I used and Mr Tranter has a couple other ways of implementing it:

RAT Bass Boost BB mod 3Xswitch schematics G Tranter.gif

I plan on trying the dual-switch schem on the far right on a future build.

I'm a fan of Tranter's work, he did a really cool in-depth makeover of the Orange Squeezer, too, that I want to build.

IMHO, use a TL072 for the input buffer and the second half for a proper summing amplifier so you can boost your clean signal too. The split n blend is only really useful if you don't plan to use the pedal at anything beyond unity gain and really is more like a hacky solution for adding a clean blend to existing designs.

You only need one buffer for the split as well and both C1 and R1 in your schematic are superfluous. You can further reduce R2 to 10-100K because you have a buffer in front.

Back