DEMO XC Phase (MXR Phase 45/90) - Updated w/Matched JFETs

This post contains an audio or video demo
To address the distortion, have you thought about tweaking the feedback resistor up for the Block Mode? Or was the distortion occurring in Script Mode?

To address the distortion, have you thought about tweaking the feedback resistor up for the Block Mode? Or was the distortion occurring in Script Mode?
It was in both modes, but just dialing back the input gain a little bit seemed to clean it up. I've got it set now where it's clean with single coils.

Ok another update.

After the above post, I went to my bench, snipped off the legs of the new JFETs to a more manageable length, re-inserted them, put the screws in the back cover. Bang, the ticking is gone. I have a fully functional XC Phase in all toggle positions.

So what the ever?? :unsure:
Phase on!!!

Reactions: fig
The phasing sounds super smooth with the matched set. Is the demo in 45 mode? I like the subtlety of it.

The phasing sounds super smooth with the matched set. Is the demo in 45 mode? I like the subtlety of it.
Yes both clips on 45 mode. I think I like it a little better than 90 mode. 90 is ok with clean guitar but seems a bit too filtered with gain. But that's a preference thing.

Very informative thread.
I was thinking the XC Phase was underwhelming until you pointed out you were using the 45 mode.
I agree that the matched set in the proper range sounds the smoothest and good to know that the clicking is gone.

Now I have a boner for the Phase II. Your sound clip with it reminded me of 70s Zappa.
Of course this means I have to have both phasers.

I have a Duo Phase to build as well, which like 90% of my PCBs is waiting for me to design an enclosure so I can place an order with Tayda and finally solder the pots.

Off to play!

Very interesting thread! I built a phase 90 from GPCB years ago and it had the annoying ticking (matched JFETs from them). Now I’m gonna need to take a pick to see if I kept those legs too long… what can I say, I love legs.

Resurrecting my own zombie thread here.

I took @mkstewartesq 's suggestion and replaced IC3 with a TL022 and BAM it solved all the remaining ticking and noise issues.

Now both toggle positions for block and script work and both toggle positions for Stages work at all speeds with no ticking or extraneous noise.

Thanks Mike!! What an easy fix! Having a lot of fun with this after digging out to replace the IC!

DEMO! DEMO! DEMO! DEMO!

(Yes, I have the exact same fully functional pedal now – but I suck at playing and you don’t.)

M

Oh man, I built a Phase 90 from GPCB years ago and it was ticking. I bet I can pop in a TL022 and it'll go away!! Very nice trick to know.

I took @mkstewartesq 's suggestion and replaced IC3 with a TL022 and BAM it solved all the remaining ticking and noise issues.

Now both toggle positions for block and script work and both toggle positions for Stages work at all speeds with no ticking or extraneous noise.

Thanks Mike!! What an easy fix! Having a lot of fun with this after digging out to replace the IC!
I'll make a note when I build mine to use the TL022.

Thanks for the tip!

That’s awesome. Wonder if @Robert should replace it in the BOM?

That’s awesome. Wonder if @Robert should replace it in the BOM?
I was kind of wondering that myself. I don’t think that I am 1/100 of the genius that @Robert is, and I know that his business model is rightly to be as accurate to the original pedal as possible – but we now have numerous anecdotal evidences that the TLO22 fixes a lot of problems with the TL0722, so I do hope that, if he agrees and is willing, he will update the Schematic and BOM to reflect it.

Mike

Last edited:
I was kind of wondering that myself. I don’t think that I am 1/100 of the genius that @Robert is, and I know that his business model is rightly to be as accurate to the original pedal as possible – but we now have numerous anecdotal evidences that the TLO22 fixes a lot of problems with the TL0722, so I do hope that, if he agrees and is willing, he will update the Schematic and BOM to reflect it.

Mike
I think others have commented that the ticking doesn’t always happen with the TL072 so if it ain’t broken…

Back