yet another altoids overdrive (OD808 reissue)

owlexifry

thought it was about time for another altoids build 😂
this one didn’t really go to plan, but that’s ok.

yes this isn’t very exciting or new and i’ve done this before, including a TS808, and the vintage/original OD808 (dual IC spec), but i hadn’t yet done a build for the maxon OD808 reissue spec circuit (yes this is ludicrous i acknowledge this)

found a layout that appeared to be reliable, 20x15…

was gonna be a squeeze, but i thought it should be ok (since i remembered I’d done a x15 row deep layout in an altoids tin before.. but that was with a 2 knob boss OD-1 circuit)
yeah, i was wrong.
i even thought i could get away with open frame jacks.
i really wanted to use open frame jacks.
so i drilled it for open frame jacks. aaaaand nah. it wasn’t gonna fit.
board was just too big.
because i had x3 pots in there and the largest board i’ve ever tried to fit in one of these, open frame jacks were out of the question, and it really didn’t look like it was gonna work at all... although, it did look like i might be able to get it to fit with cliff jacks if i turned them on their side.
but i was so mad.
half the whole point of this build was that i wanted to improve on my previous altoids builds and use open frame jacks (they’re so much better than cliff jacks).
i almost bailed on it.
but i carried on and just made it work with cliff jacks.

this was stupid, it was tight, i made errors, and it one of the most difficult builds i’ve done. so fiddly.

9E4A8A56-2D60-409F-90C5-53FDFE232769.jpeg CBC8384E-FC84-4960-8880-702C2E545655.jpeg

but im real happy with the end result, i actually used a bezel on one of these for once, made great use of heatshrink so there’s no shorting out going on anywhere at the switch, it’s quiet, it sounds bloody fantastic, works perfectly and i’m stoked to have it on my board.

84F6CC5B-6585-437F-B62A-57EE34516190.jpeg E19B2C42-CDC8-4260-B788-628E447C81F2.jpeg
11A6EE7B-59C3-4E9D-AE83-45AF852B30DD.jpeg 677611B1-C28A-4953-9C64-655CC9CA826D.jpeg

That's interesting, I just for the legacy board from Aion for this pedal hahaha.
haha nice but which version are you going to build?
had a look at their build doc and looks like it can accommodate a LOT of different circuits. pretty nifty

Lol cool man!!!
You're a wild man!
So here locally there was a guy in the early nineties who made little amps in cigarette pack boxes.Mostly Camels lol. Basically an overdrive with an in and out and a built in speaker.
I have one of the first ones. Later he had the produced out of plastic and called them lil smokies. They really didn't sound too bad! They made a decent overdrive.

Attachments

• 20230403_082337.jpg
    20230403_082337.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230403_082325.jpg
    20230403_082325.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 4
Lol cool man!!!
You're a wild man!
So here locally there was a guy in the early nineties who made little amps in cigarette pack boxes.Mostly Camels lol. Basically an overdrive with an in and out and a built in speaker.
I have one of the first ones. Later he had the produced out of plastic and called them lil smokies. They really didn't sound too bad! They made a decent overdrive.
haha thanks 🤙 sometimes it's fun to build things that aren't inside a hammond enclosure (and i can't really do anything that exciting with hammond enclosures anyway)

ahhh yes, would that be one of these?

Smokey-Amp-Schematic.png

Kudos for not bailing!

As for the little Smokey Amp...
If you add clipping diodes and a current-limiting resistor between the 386 and the diodes.
cheers!
well i’m glad i didn’t, cos i ended up using it on Friday 😎
(was planning on using the ST-9 build, but then it was again having the same weird problems, i hope i've fixed it now...)

on that note, does it count as a demo if i used it at my first show in over ten years and my partner filmed a video of it?
AACFA5C5-A313-4B50-BD09-7A7AAC7AC0D6.jpeg

been a while

Back