Zen(ish)

chip

Every once in a while I do the electronic equivalent of eating the leftovers that are still hanging around the refrigerator. This is basically a Mahayana Drive, but made from whatever I had on hand, and therefore missing all of the specialty things that would probably really make it a Zen Drive. Like it doesn't have the MOSFETs being used as diodes in the clipping section and instead has a hodgepodge of diodes, including one weird Ge that I had left over from my Fuzzy Fox.

This enclosure isn't my usual style, but this is what happens when I commit to using only extra parts. I had an old 125B with too many holes in it and tried to fill them in and then shield it, and then embraced the whole "Zen" thing and learned that Miracle-Gro corrodes copper like crazy. The real big-picture win here was that I took the time to draw up the vero layout, which I'm not really that good at, and it seems to have worked.

Full writeup is here: https://dunningkrugerfx.com/zenish

Attachments

• zenish-sidebyside.jpg
    zenish-sidebyside.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 57
  • zenish-insides.jpg
    zenish-insides.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Every once in a while I do the electronic equivalent of eating the leftovers that are still hanging around the refrigerator. This is basically a Mahayana Drive, but made from whatever I had on hand, and therefore missing all of the specialty things that would probably really make it a Zen Drive. Like it doesn't have the MOSFETs being used as diodes in the clipping section and instead has a hodgepodge of diodes, including one weird Ge that I had left over from my Fuzzy Fox.

This enclosure isn't my usual style, but this is what happens when I commit to using only extra parts. I had an old 125B with too many holes in it and tried to fill them in and then shield it, and then embraced the whole "Zen" thing and learned that Miracle-Gro corrodes copper like crazy. The real big-picture win here was that I took the time to draw up the vero layout, which I'm not really that good at, and it seems to have worked.

Full writeup is here: https://dunningkrugerfx.com/zenish

View attachment 40887

View attachment 40888
This is what‘s missing too much nowadays (I’m old). The folks who made the sounds so many of us now chase were just doing what they could with what they had.

love this build

Quite interested in how you went about that finishing process (as I fully intend to steal it, tbh :p)

Did the miracle-gro application go on the whole enclosure? It looks like the aluminum has a bit of corrosion too.
Anything to "seal" it or does copper shielding tape just stick and stay put to the enclosure well enough on its own?

I want the miracle grow back story. (And I also noticed the interior surfaces; just figured you were taking the concept to its fullest, as I’ve noticed you have a tendency (greatly appreciated) to do.

I'm a little hesitant to give out too much advice on chemicals because I'm not a chemist or medical professional and imagine that there are a lot of things that could go wrong, so don't try this at home, use in a well ventilated space, etc.

There were actually several attempts, and I wasn't terribly scientific about it so it's difficult for me to parse out exactly what did what or if the order of things mattered. At first, I tried to do it with some high-test vinegar that I have for cleaning. I think that's actually what corroded the aluminum the most, but didn't really touch the copper. I then tried a spritz of salt water, which took the sheen off of the copper but didn't get it green. The final thing was a concentrated dose of Miracle-Gro that would likely be fatal to plants, but is what ultimately put the patina on the copper.

There was no additional adhesive used on the copper tape, just what it came with. I was kind of surprised that it didn't come off with the vinegar soak, but it didn't. No idea what the long term prospects for that are. The verdigris on the copper was more like surface dust, so to keep it on I sealed the whole thing in gloss clear (because I feel like the gloss builds more) and then matte clear on top to remove the gloss.

Full writeup is here: https://dunningkrugerfx.com/zenis
the electronic equivalent of eating the leftovers that are still hanging around the refrigerator.
It's January and the chips are down to the wire... do know the feeling, hence revisiting half-baked or borked builds until the miracle ship docks.

Back