Random pix

Here's one from NC for you @jubal, taken this afternoon.

N6Zo8wP.jpg

Yeah, I'm actually kinda bummed I'm missing the cicadas this time around. My dog would have a blast running around eating them like popcorn.
Or is that a moth?
Which part of the state are you in?

Reactions: fig
Beautiful pic, Fig!

I took a pic here of its Asian cousin, Macroglossum insipida, the Hermit Hummingbird Hawkmoth. Alas it was evening and the low light left the moth just a blur amongst the flowers on my old phone-camera. So instead, here's a pic taken moments later — a beautiful evening walk with my wife.
IMG_3730 (1).jpg Hmmph looks darker here than on my c'puter.
Like many people who see them, I thought it was a hummingbird, until I got home and searched out what it was exactly. A rare sighting.

Nah. Had a girlfriend who lived in Falls Church when we met, so I spent a good amount of time in the DMV. Guess that was about 16 years ago now. I'm from N.C., but moved out to the PNW 5 years ago. I like it, but I sure miss the food. Nothing out here is right.
You might like it better there if you were a Hipster. :p

Dang those ribs... Had me with the pic, but no joke my mouth is filling with saliva at Balsamic Soy Chili brown-sugar...

...and I like dark Rum, but never tried it in Rootbeer, which I also like.

One of those "master-class" ads keeps popping up, a new one. I rarely if ever watch the adverts, but this one's by a guy who teaches how to barbeque brisket — I watch through it every time.

Dang those ribs... Had me with the pic, but no joke my mouth is filling with saliva at Balsamic Soy Chili brown-sugar...

...and I like dark Rum, but never tried it in Rootbeer, which I also like.

One of those "master-class" ads keeps popping up, a new one. I rarely if ever watch the adverts, but this one's by a guy who teaches how to barbeque brisket — I watch through it every time.
That's most likely the King of Brisket Aaron Franklin

View attachment 12039

This is one of mine. It was shot in Lucky Bay, on the Southern Ocean at the bottom of Western Australia almost 20 years ago. I'm cheating though because I'm a professional photographer and this was photographed for south-west tourism. This shot has been used on billboards and magazine ads ever since - I still see it from time to time. It predates my conversion to digital photography - it was shot on medium format colour transparency.

Lucky Bay has the whitest sand I have ever seen. It doesn't show in the photo but the water was so clear that I could see the shadows of the waves on the sea floor. And the sand was so fine it packs down hard enough to drive a regular car on. The kangaroos do actually lie on the beach in the early mornings, warming up and licking the fresh water which trickles over the sand from the dunes. It's an incredible beach - probably because it is over a day's drive from Perth.
All these pics are beautiful, especially this one shot on color transparency film. I really miss Kodachrome 25. For me, that was the best film ever. So beautiful!

Reactions: fig
Back