Pedal enclosure

Username123

I am looking for an enclosure for the el sol distortion. Would a 1590b be too small?I am trying to keep costs down. A 125b will cost be 10-15 bucks more because mouser doesn't carry 125b enclosures, so I would have to pay shipping.

It will easily fit in a 1590b. The only problem comes is if you want top mounted jack which are a bit tighter and your measurements need to be bang on but is still not a problem.

Or just put side mounted jacks.

I am looking for an enclosure for the el sol distortion. Would a 1590b be too small?I am trying to keep costs down. A 125b will cost be 10-15 bucks more because mouser doesn't carry 125b enclosures, so I would have to pay shipping.
I seriously don't know how the term "125B" came to be.

The correct nomenclature for Hammond's box is 1590N1, and Mouser does indeed carry them. In different finishes no less.

EDIT:
Weird. When I pulled up this thread there were zero responses... I didn't black out, it took me a few seconds to type and hit reply and then up pops everybody's replies

IMHO, Tayda all the way... do like I did and order a bunch... this lower your shipping cost per unit...

And mouser isn't cheap on shipping either if I remember...

Reactions: fig
It is my first build. Don't even know if I will like building pedals. Don't have very much money either, so I could not buy in bulk anyway.

It is my first build. Don't even know if I will like building pedals. Don't have very much money either, so I could not buy in bulk anyway.
What pedal are you building? The El Sol? You were questioning the clipping stage of that schematic on another thread. You don't know pedals but you know clipping stages?

Yup the el sol. I am a Researchaholic. I can learn everything about anything if I want to. I know some about what affects the sound of a pedal. Clipping is also one of the most important parts of the circuit, along with IC's and gain stages. That all affects output, response, and tone. Sorry to start an argument. I said I don't know if I like building pedals yet!

I assure you I have zero interest in arguing over a guitar pedal.

From what I've read, you want to build an El Sol because you believe you might enjoy building, but being unsure you don't want to make any unnecessary purchases. Also, you aren't made of money so sensible sourcing is a top priority.

I get that! (y)

You need to ask yourself, how much money am I willing to risk to find out if I like this hobby or not?If you have a figure in mind, it can likely be determined if in fact the pedal can be built for that amount. Without one, it's not really a solvable equation.

The folks here are some of the best group of people you could hope to find yourself among, and will go out of their way to help you get where you want to be.

IMO, if you're just getting your feet wet with this hobby I would HIGHLY suggest buying a kit. Not sure where you are located, but my first build was from General Guitar Gadgets. GGG has lots of instructions (how to populate your board, exactly how to wire everything up, etc.) Everything is included in the kit and the enclosure is pre-drilled which is pretty nice. Yes, buying a kit will cost a bit more, but it will save you the time and hassle of sourcing all the parts (it may be more expensive if you have to go to multiple sources due to shipping). While nearly all the kits may not have the true sound you are searching for, there's a TON of literature about them, circuit analysis, as well as troubleshooting online. We would be more that happy to help you out here if you run into any problems and guide you along the way. My best advice if you're starting out is to enjoy the building process and take your time.

Should Have thought of a kit earlier. Thank you guys for your advice. I ordered all the components already. It was about 50 dollars for all the parts I need, and shipping. Thankfully my father is really intuitive with electronics, and he can teach me how to solder. Back in the day he used to build and sell telsa coils. I am very fortunate to have somebody to help me out.

After you build this one, try a kit. Then you can decide which way to build you like better.

Boom! The next thing you know you're building a couple of tube amps per year and a half-dozen pedals per month... :dmm:

After you build this one, try a kit. Then you can decide which way to build you like better.

Boom! The next thing you know you're building a couple of tube amps per year and a half-dozen pedals per month... :dmm:
LOL the only thing that stops me from working on an amp, it that I strongly feel that I'm stupid enough to electrocute myself !!! :D

Back