NASA crashes into an asteroid - on purpose

When you get right down to it, the concept of proactive defense against foreign objects from space always seemed like it was just waiting for some sort of resource capitalism to motivate the powers that be.

I've heard for some time now about the potential for precious minerals and other metals being mined off asteroids and such. Not that we need more wealth inequality in the world but it would be nice to know we could divert a planet killer if need be.

This is cool to see. I’ve been fascinated listening to Graham Hancock and Randall Carlson talking about the hypothesis of the earth being hit about 11,000 years ago. If anyones interested it’s all on the Joe Rogan Podcast.

Reactions: fig
When you get right down to it, the concept of proactive defense against foreign objects from space always seemed like it was just waiting for some sort of resource capitalism to motivate the powers that be.

I've heard for some time now about the potential for precious minerals and other metals being mined off asteroids and such. Not that we need more wealth inequality in the world but it would be nice to know we could divert a planet killer if need be.

This is why I always argued that we should leave space alone. The last thing it needs is to be trashed for profit. I think SpaceX is a bit disgusting, same with with Bezos and the Big Dick. We only started “exploring” space to fight the Cold War. Once we landed on the moon, the race was over, and NASA was lo longer a big deal. By the 80’s the Air Force was doing space rockets, NASA has the Challenger Disaster, Carl Sagan died, a few more shuttle disasters, the Orion Program. Last thing I want to see is a giant Carl’s Jr. sign on the moon…
If anyones interested it’s all on the Joe Rogan Podcast.

I’ll pass…

This is why I always argued that we should leave space alone. The last thing it needs is to be trashed for profit. I think SpaceX is a bit disgusting, same with with Bezos and the Big Dick. We only started “exploring” space to fight the Cold War. Once we landed on the moon, the race was over, and NASA was lo longer a big deal. By the 80’s the Air Force was doing space rockets, NASA has the Challenger Disaster, Carl Sagan died, a few more shuttle disasters, the Orion Program. Last thing I want to see is a giant Carl’s Jr. sign on the moon…

There is so much in the way of incredibly valuable resources in space, that I would not be surprised at all if the ONLY reason people want to explore space in the future is to harvest natural resources.

I’ll pass…

I stopped listening about 8 months ago regularly. Not because I have anything against him or his show (I was an avid listener for 10 years or so), but simply because the guests got a little stale, etc.

I will say this: as @JamieJ points out, the Randall Carlson and/or Graham Hancock episodes are fascinating. As are many of the others. It just got to be burdensome to listen weekly anymore. I still tune in to hear specific episodes with certain guests. For instance, I always tune in when The Black Keys come on and many others.

As far as podcasts go, I only have the HP Lovecraft Literary Podcast (I've been a subscriber for some time now) and the Dan Carlin podcasts (Hardcore History, HH Addendum and Common Sense) on my phone anymore.

There is so much in the way of incredibly valuable resources in space, that I would not be surprised at all if the ONLY reason people want to explore space in the future is to harvest natural resources.

That’s the ONLY reason we space was explored in the first place, that and the Cold War. For the people actually doing it (scientists) it’s about science. But for the people paying for it, it’s about treasure hunting. And that’s a shame. Because if the state of the Earth after treasure hunting is any indication, space is fucked…but at least Wall Street will have a good quarter…

NASA crashes into an asteroid - on purpose​

The administration’s spokesperson is quoted as saying “I meant to do that”. GEICO was unavailable for comment.

Agent Smart was ready with the message should the mission had failed…

maxwell_smart.jpg

The cost of transportation is Sofa King high that unless they're mining diamonds on the moon, there's not much of a business case for mining in space.

As for moving terrestrial bodies to protect the earth from potential impacts, there is also great risk in inadvertently moving objects into an orbit that has a higher likelihood of impacting our home. Planetary mechanics is complicated because all of the planets exert gravitational influence on each other and all of the smaller bodies wandering around the solar system. In physics, it's called the "three body problem." When you have more than two bodies exerting gravitation influence on each other, their motion can become chaotic. A key feature of chaotic behavior is sensitivity to initial conditions, popularly known as the "butterfly effect." A tiny change in the momentum of an asteroid now can lead to an unpredictable path a thousand years from now.

for the layman, spread a bunch of bawlz on a pool/snooker table, and just hit 1 of them really hard in to another bunch.

And until the reusable fusion powered(like battletech dropship) vehicle is functional, space mining is a faint dream.

We have all benefited by the NASA advances in technology. Photoshop for instance. The development of transmitting images digitally.
And being able to manipulate the information.
During the 1980s the scientist’s wife who developed the technology had a photo retouching studio/company in Houston - primarily used by advertising / design studios world wide. She had exclusive rights to the technology for a period of time. For those old enough to remember the Budweiser print ad with three models in white one piece bathing suits. She put the Budweiser logo across them.
Formed to their bodies. That was her work.
Thank You NASA.

Back