DEMO Fine day for an Octave shootout (Octave Up Sick Box, Super Full Wave, Green Ringer, Clean Octave Blend, Optofet)

This post contains an audio or video demo

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
These boards all came courtesy of @finebyfine, as part of his delve into the Rabbit Hole. They're built mostly according to the screen prints on the board, except I used 1N5817s in most of the spots calling for silicons, and 2N5089s in all transistor spots (I ordered them for some reason, so felt I may as well use em, as I can't recall what I ordered em for).
All boards laid out beautifully, and on par with PedalPCB's offerings.

The most notably modded circuit is the Green Ringer Redux- I opted to use the component values from the Ringer section of the Life / Parentheses circuit where applicable. I also increased C1 from 100pf to 10n

If I had to pick a favorite from this bunch, I'd probably go with the Ringer Redux, though I don't feel the dual Null pots add anything of real value as external controls. But as a beefed up Green Ringer otherwise, I really like it as a sorta clean Octave up to full on Octave fuzz.

My second choice would easily be the Octave Up Sick Box simply for how brutal it is. I'd liken it to a Foxx Tone Machine that forgot all of it's etiquette training. For the hard clippers I used 1N914 and Bat85, but I might open it back up and swap all the hard clippers for something with an even lower vf, as this thing is ridiculously loud

The Super Full Wave Octaver is fun, and definitely the "cleanest" of the bunch. This one definitely benefits from being driven by other pedals. It wouldn't be my first pick for my tastes, but I'm going to enjoy having it around.

The Clean Octave Blend is awesome, too. Reminds me of a Mayer Octavia, but I think this one gets quite a bit nastier.

The Optofet compressor compresses, and I don't know how to use compressors :ROFLMAO:
This one doesn't seem to color the tone too much, and it's dead simple as far as controls go. But, I think I rely too heavily on my playing dynamics to really get much use out of any compressor circuit, and having endless clean sustain isn't terribly important to me.

PXL_20230110_001228624.jpg

PXL_20230110_001006028.jpg PXL_20230110_001037037.jpg PXL_20230110_001052296.jpg PXL_20230110_001104991.jpg PXL_20230110_001130089.jpg

I start the video off with all pedals set to the strongest octave up according to my strobe tuner. I start with the neck pickup using those settings, then move on to each pedals most extremes. After that, I begin switching from the neck to bridge pickup

Last edited:
So fun to see them in a shootout - I don't think I ever had all of these boxed up at the same time!

Also just to get the credits near the top of this thread for people who haven't been following my descent into madness in my octave thread:
- Octave Up Sick Box by Gus Smalley via GGG
- Prescription Electronics Clean Octave Blend, schematic from FSB.
- Super Full Wave Octaver by JC Maillet
- Green Ringer Redux is also by JC Maillet - I am unsure where I downloaded his original schematic from. My redraw is in the octave thread. I added back the nulling mod. Having two external nulling pots is definitely overkill. Probably better suited for a set value and internal trimpot
- The non octave Optical Compressor is Ray Ring's design.

I guess a compressor is useful before an octaver, because it gives a cleaner and better octave sound ? The octaver will always respond better, with a better tracking, am i wrong ?

I guess a compressor is useful before an octaver, because it gives a cleaner and better octave sound ? The octaver will always respond better, with a better tracking, am i wrong ?

I just happened to be wanting to share that board when I sent out the octavers (it showed up the same day I was gonna be sending them out) but I actually love a compressor after an octave. Some octaves that don't track perfectly can have those weird dead spots, ya know? Sort of beefs those back up.

With this particular compressor, that wasn't my experience. If it had additional low pass filtering, then probably. This one actually seems fairly transparent
I included the compressor in the report and demo simply because it came with the bundle, and didn't wanna give its own thread or video, but didn't want to leave it out entirely.

So fun to see them in a shootout - I don't think I ever had all of these boxed up at the same time!

Also just to get the credits near the top of this thread for people who haven't been following my descent into madness in my octave thread:
- Octave Up Sick Box by Gus Smalley via GGG
- Prescription Electronics Clean Octave Blend, schematic from FSB.
- Super Full Wave Octaver by JC Maillet
- Green Ringer Redux is also by JC Maillet - I am unsure where I downloaded his original schematic from. My redraw is in the octave thread. I added back the nulling mod. Having two external nulling pots is definitely overkill. Probably better suited for a set value and internal trimpot
- The non octave Optical Compressor is Ray Ring's design.
Love THIS!! you got any OUSB avail?

Back