Vanquisher Fuzz

Route14

Built this one a few weeks ago. I've been working my way through some Jeorge Tripps/Way Huge classics. It has that gatey, spitty sound but it's a little less fuzz and a tad more distortion. Makes it a little more usable than other similar fuzzes. I easily fit this into a 'B' enclosure with side jacks. I would love to say everything else went easy but this one is more of a cautionary tale. I make so many pedals and I was looking for a way to go a little cheaper on pedals I know I'm not going to use regularly.

I bought a bunch of cheap parts off of Amazon and that was a HUGE mistake. The DC jacks were so bad I immediately returned them. The nuts wouldn't even fasten to the threads. I had a similar issue with the 3PDT switches but they fastened "enough" that I decided to keep them. Though I won't buy them again. The jacks are usable but a pain to solder. For some reason the sleeve tabs don't take the solder very well. Even after a little sanding. I won't buy them again either.

Lastly my beloved 3 dollar SBE enclosures have finally failed me. As I finally got everything boxed up I noticed the pots were at an angle when i went to put the knobs on. It took a few minutes but I finally realized that inside the enclosure there were circular flanges that were raised up more than I had noticed on other enclosures. That was what was causing the pots to sit crooked. So I had to try and sand them out enough by hand to a point where the pots would sit a little more flat in the enclosure.

It also took me two tries to figure out which way the transistor is suppose to be oriented. I initially went without a socket because it didn't really fit in one. After guessing wrong the first time I installed a socket and cut down the legs enough to push them into the socket. I wish after all that work this was a pedal I would use more but I guess the lessons learned will come in handy on future builds.

IMG_1721.jpg
IMG_1719.jpg
IMG_1718.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, jacks like that require a bit of leading before soldering. I throw a bit of flux on mine, add a bit of solder on the iron, and lead it a bit. After that, soldering on a wire is much, much easier. Takes a bit of practice to get it down. Not that much different than guitar pot leads which also take a bit of leading.

Back