Deciding on first amp build

jcpst

I’m ready for an amp build.

I started building pedals about 8 months ago. I have 35 builds under my belt.

As I’ve been working on the guitar tracks for my band’s EP, I realized 3 out of 4 songs don’t use any pedals. So I’m recording my parts from a guitar plugged straight into a tube amp.

I mean, what am I doing with my life? Clearly I need more amps!

I have dreams of something like a deluxe reverb, but I know I’m not there yet.

So I’m thinking either 5F1, 5F2, or 5E3 to get my feet wet.

Thought the 5F2 by Weber would be a cool kit. They have a 1x12 option and TV front, which is appealing.

I know there are some experienced amp builders around here. So if anyone has 2 cents on parts, kits, I’m all ears!

I've been looking into the Ceriatone amps and think I may grab a "Son of the Yeti" kit here soon. Seems to hit all the spots I want but staying under 50 watts.

How big are you looking to build?

I've thought about the same thing. I don't think I'd buy a 5F1/2 or 5E3, so I don't think it's worth my time to build one, even though those are the usual "beginner builds".

On the other hand, I would by a Princeton so I am thinking if and when I do build one, more likely it'd be this.

So my advice is build something you want, not just something because it looks simpler. Go for the DR!

How big are you looking to build?
I don't have a need to go much past 15-20 watts, even with loud drummers. I like to get the amp cranked. My first tube amp was a Peavey Delta Blues, 30w and 1x15, but I never had to push it hard.

So my advice is build something you want, not just something because it looks simpler. Go for the DR!
I did consider this. Compared to pedal builds, I'll dropping a lot more dough for an amp build. So on one hand, I'd save some cash.

I had been waiting for rosamp.com to open up shop again so I could grab an SLO-30 kit but I didn't know Ceriatone had amp kits as well. They have a pretty killer selection of kits with various options too. I might buy a kit from them and then get a SLO-30 whenever rosamp is back in business haha. mojotone has some cool kits too.

I had been waiting for rosamp.com to open up shop again so I could grab an SLO-30 kit but I didn't know Ceriatone had amp kits as well. They have a pretty killer selection of kits with various options too. I might buy a kit from them and then get a SLO-30 whenever rosamp is back in business haha. mojotone has some cool kits too.
As far as I know, their kits are pretty good quality parts. They had some cheap transformers there for a little while but got the factory sorted out.

I have been perusing the ceriatone website all day haha. I'm really tempted by the C-wreck and the Leviathan 50w. But the Ceriatone amps are so cheap, I might just buy one and still build the SLO-30. The offboard wiring on the Ceriatone kits looks way more intimidating than the Rosamp SLO project.

Only issue I've had with Ceriatone in the past is the shipping cost...

I've built two Mojotone kits at this point (upgraded bits in both because... well... I "meddle") and both are amazing...

Only issue I've had with Ceriatone in the past is the shipping cost...
Yeah- it seems only worth it if I’m going after something only they do. And then I still might want to source the speaker, cab, iron domestically to save on shipping. At that point, I could just get a mojotone w/ free shipping.

Sounds good! I am pretty sure I am going to build my first amp this fall/winter. At first I was going to do the tweed Deluxe because it seems more useful to me than a tweed Champ or Princeton, and although more complicated, not crazy more. But now I am looking into a Brown Deluxe. I don’t know if that’s too adventurous. I am currently doing research on amp building in general and about the brown Deluxe. I recently watched a couple videos from the Uncle Doug YouTube channel that explained the basics of how an amp works and it was super enlightening. Now I generally understand things like filtering and plates and heaters and coupling.

Probably doing a head and probably doing Mojotone

Last edited:
Ya I hadnt noticed the shipping cost for ceriatone... not a deal breaker. But definitely something to consider.

Oh wow, I had been looking at Ceriatone also, but i never made it to shipping.

There is a thread on this forum about getting advice on amp building and in it Ceriatone is highly praised for quality and customer service.

They are located in Malaysia. But honestly, thats what it costs to ship an amp in the states anyways so I still feel like it's a good deal. Especially since they offer some very cool amps. Their C-wreck has me drooling. I have always kind of dreamed of owning a Dr.Z Z-wreck after I read The Guitar Amp Handbook by Dave Hunter. Sorry @jcpst for kind of hijacking thread.

I have always kind of dreamed of owning a Dr.Z Z-wreck after I read The Guitar Amp Handbook by Dave Hunter. Sorry @jcpst for kind of hijacking thread.
I love that book. In fact, pulling it back off the shelf and thumbing through it recently has contributed to my amp g.a.s.!

You bring up a good point though. I was just looking at Ceriatone’s diy kit prices. But their builds seem like a great deal. I’m sure they build that C-wreck better than I would.

I had a great time building an Allen Encore Kit. Not the least expensive way to build a kit amp, but everything about it is jaw droppingly good, and you end up with a boutique level amp.. They are all pretty closely related to Fender designs, but each model has a bit of a twist to it, some kits are fully documented, step by step, others are just all the parts, the schematic, a wiring diagram, and voltage test points. Some real thought went into the designs, for example, V1 is moved so that it’s right at the input, not even a wire (just the drop down resistor) away, and biasing is all external. People I play with get spooked because of how quiet it is.

IMG_0375.jpeg

Hey @jcpst, the 5F2 with a 12" is a pretty decent start and a very useful amp. Will rock with or without pedals!

Always keep in mind 'Danger - High Voltage.' Pedals don't bite, but tube amps can take away yoru birthday very easily. Double check your work, especially the electrolytic orientation.

FYI: I've been repairing and building amps since 1978. My latest design and build was my AMI 'Dumb Luck' (yes, homage to Howard Dumble) that was a very high headroom clean channel, a ODS ish dirt channel, both with reverb, stuffed in a Vibrolux 2x10 Pyle speakers (pictured). Feel free to ask me questions.
20240513_190355.jpg
20240518_154714.jpg

I had a great time building an Allen Encore Kit. Not the least expensive way to build a kit amp, but everything about it is jaw droppingly good, and you end up with a boutique level amp.. They are all pretty closely related to Fender designs, but each model has a bit of a twist to it, some kits are fully documented, step by step, others are just all the parts, the schematic, a wiring diagram, and voltage test points. Some real thought went into the designs, for example, V1 is moved so that it’s right at the input, not even a wire (just the drop down resistor) away, and biasing is all external. People I play with get spooked because of how quiet it is.

View attachment 78786
I've been eyeing those Allen amps. Did you buy yours recently? I know that a while back he sold the business, and I'm curious if the new owners are keeping the standards up.

He retired the year after I built mine. I haven’t talked to the new owners, but my sense, at least from the site, is that the quality is pretty much the same. I’ve been surprised that prices seem pretty similar to before also.

To me it always depends on how much volume you need, experience, etc.

If you ae playing at home, I can't recommend something like a Tweed Champ or Blackface/Silverface Champ amp.

If you want more clean tones, go with the BF/SF Champ.

If you want decent low volume cleans AND cranked overdriven tones, go for the Tweed.

Back