125b Pedal Risers Anyone?

daeg

Has anyone solved for using PedalPCB 125b builds with pancake plugs on a flat board?

The 125b enclosure needs about 5-10mm of clearance added (minimum) to fit the stoutest pancake plug (Square Plug SP500).
In my case, I'm weighing between cutting individual risers for each 125b pedal on the board vs a long strip to accommodate them all in a line.

Others out there surely have run into this obstacle before.

If context is needed, I'm using a Blackbird pedalboard, which are the velcro top type that you drill into to route the wires. Super simple and straightforward. The problems arise when you try to pack a lot into a small space and need to use space saving plugs.

eop2bxxs0fpk5bg0upja.jpg

For me, a centimeter of lift off the board is all I need to make it all work.

Just looked at those plugs -- neat, I didn't know about them.
Risers makes the most sense to me. A single strip versus individual risers seems like an aesthetic choice ... I guess individual and paint 'em black?

Just looked at those plugs -- neat, I didn't know about them.

I had solderless (Lavacable Tightrope), big mistake. Ended up constantly troubleshooting buzzing, level loss, kicking the pedalboard would make intermittent problems go away.

Then I tried more standard soldered plugs, but couldn't fit 2 rows of 125b pedals anymore.

Now I'm working with these squareplug pancake plugs and can get everything I want out of the board once I solve for the clearance.

A thin strip of wood painted black with velcro hooks on one side and velcro loops on the other would probably be the easiest solution. you only need to lift the back of the pedal and your velcro would attach to the riser in the back and still stick in the front.

Could go the other route and change the patch cables. I have been looking at the SquarePlug SPS4 connectors:
SquarePlug SPS wth 4.6mm cable + SPS exploded.jpg

Not cheap, but look really nice and would fix the problem. If you absolutely need right angle the SP400 plugs might fit as well.

Could go the other route and change the patch cables. I have been looking at the SquarePlug SPS4 connectors:
View attachment 6198

Not cheap, but look really nice and would fix the problem. If you absolutely need right angle the SP400 plugs might fit as well.

These are what are currently on my board! They are super solid, no issues but in my case they're limiting me to 1 row of 125b and my heart is set on 2.

A thin strip of wood painted black with velcro hooks on one side and velcro loops on the other would probably be the easiest solution. you only need to lift the back of the pedal and your velcro would attach to the riser in the back and still stick in the front.

This solution is the most appealing to me as well. Each plate of wood would need to be about 12cm x 39cm x 0.75cm (row of 5 125b pedals with a wee bit of space between each).

Right now I have them sitting on a piece of cardboard cut to those dimensions and it works just fine. I have a general purpose saw but no other woodworking tools -- definitely an electrical and not a wood guy. Any suggestions?

If you have a big hardware store near you that carries wood, go check out the wood trim. You might be able to find something there the right width and depth (maybe even with a beveled edge), and could probably get someone at the store to cut a couple of pieces to the length you need. Pick up some black spray paint and velcro while you're there, and you should be good to go. : ^ )

i don't understand what the issue is. i have pancake plugs and there is no problem with the pedal height.

i don't understand what the issue is. i have pancake plugs and there is no problem with the pedal height.

It depends on what type of pedalboard you're using. If you're using pancake plugs on 125b pedals with top-mounted jacks, you probably don't use a board with a solid top.

are you not using top mounted jacks? is the problem that you drilled the 1/4" jack holes too close to the bottom of the enclosure?

Back