2N1304 Alternatives

VanWhy

Looking to build the Double Tap Fuzz (EQD Zap Machine v2) but finding it hard to find the 2N1304 transistors. I'd rather not test my luck on eBay or wait forever. I tried doing the Google search and a search here but not having much luck. Even finding a good alternative is confusing. Or if anyone has a 2N1304 with lower hFE, low leakage one they'd billing willing to sell, that would be awesome. :giggle:

I'll check, I know I have 2n1306, and I think I have some 04. Where are you located?

I believe the 2n169 usually has decently low hfe

I don't have any more of them but if you can find some MP35s I remember those all having mid-two-figure gains; if you've got a transistor tester like the Mega328 it's worth buying a bulk package on eBay and measuring the ones you get (I've done it with MP20s, MP35s, and MP38s, never gotten a "dead" one and they've always been surprisingly consistent in gain and leakage)

If you pay for postage i can certainly send you a couple GE transistors. Any GE transistor will work with a lower hfe. I have the DCA75 pro to double check on what youre getting! BTW I just built this circuit it sounds really good!

I believe the 2n169 usually has decently low hfe

I don't have any more of them but if you can find some MP35s I remember those all having mid-two-figure gains; if you've got a transistor tester like the Mega328 it's worth buying a bulk package on eBay and measuring the ones you get (I've done it with MP20s, MP35s, and MP38s, never gotten a "dead" one and they've always been surprisingly consistent in gain and leakage)
Thanks for the tips. I'm looking at some testers on Amazon now. Some decent ones. Most of them don't test for leakage though I don't think. I guess that's another topic for another thread...

If you pay for postage i can certainly send you a couple GE transistors. Any GE transistor will work with a lower hfe. I have the DCA75 pro to double check on what youre getting! BTW I just built this circuit it sounds really good!
Thanks. Yeah your build looks great! I may do some more digging. For now, going to grab something from AES and see what happens. If I change my mind I may hit you up. Much appreciated.

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking at some testers on Amazon now. Some decent ones. Most of them don't test for leakage though I don't think. I guess that's another topic for another thread...
The eBay listing I bought mine from is no longer live but if you search eBay for "GM328" you'll find the transistor tester I use (I bought the kit form, you can also buy it pre-assembled I think), it measures leakage (Ices and Iceo)

Back