5F1 Build

CanadianDave

This one is still early. In fact, I haven’t started building the circuit yet.

For this amp, my inspiration is coming from Deiter Rams who used to design for Braun, and Love Hulten who designs some insane synthesizers.

I’m planning on fully building the cabinet, then letting that determine how the amp is laid out.

IMG_6521.jpeg
IMG_6405.jpeg

The cabinet is Peruvian Walnut. I’m using flat white acrylic for the panels, which will hide an aluminum chassis from Amazon.

IMG_6402.jpeg

Oh nice! I dig the inspiration with the modular-synth-style walnut cab.

I'm getting started on my first amp build, also a 5F1. But with a 15w output transformer and a 15" Jensen.

I didn't do the cabinet from scratch. My RawCab comes friday. It's pine and I think I'm going to do a varnish instead of tweed/tolex.

I’m pretty sure a psychiatrist could give me a diagnosis based on my speaker grill journey.

My first attempt was to design a jig. That was moderately successful.
IMG_6417.jpeg

The second attempt was to use a diagram and hand drill each hole. Much better.
IMG_6421.jpeg

My third and final attempt was to refine the diagram. Each hole was drilled once with a 1/6 drill by hand to make a pilot, then use a 1/4 drill bit in a drill press.
IMG_6453.jpeg
IMG_6505.jpeg
IMG_6506.jpeg

Today, inching closer.

IMG_6519.jpeg
IMG_6520.jpeg

My plan is to keep the front panel as clean as possible. Pilot light, volume/ on/ off knob, and a switch that will flip the input between high and low.

As for the input jack, I want to mount that on the bottom of the left side of the cabinet. One, to make it cleaner to plug a pedal board into it, but also to help avoid tipping if this ends up being top heavy.

Long term, once this is all finished and I figure out which pedals play well with it, I want to build a matching walnut/ white acrylic pedal board with 4 pedals built into it.

Back