DEMO 89P13- Bass Overdrive

This post contains an audio or video demo

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
4.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
There aren't as many options for bass overdrive pedals made specifically for bass. I see even less build reports for these projects. I am in the process of making a dedicated bass pedalboard so I wanted an overdrive that gave me more tonal options than the DAM Ezekiel clone I've been using the past couple years. Being on a boss kick (fanboi here) I decided to try the God City Instruments N.E.W bass overdrive that is a clone of the dunwich bass overdrive, and that is a feature rich expanded clone of the polarizing Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive.

I've watched a lot of videos on the ODB-3 and I agree with many of the complaints of the pedal. One, it's too boxy sounding, and the blend knob isn't the best. The LED clipping gives it more of a crunchy fuzzy drive versus overdrive. This pedal has many additional tone shaping knobs and switches. I like having a seperate level for clean and drive level sperate from the blend knob. This along with the silicon clipping option creates so many shades of dirt. The added mids tone controls make the pedal truly bass friendly. I opted to eliminate the center tone bypass switch as I didn't feel it was worth including. Not all mods are as impactful as others.

The build made me truly appreciate @Robert as the layout was kind of a 🥴. The drill template was less than ideal, the lack of documentation about what switches were used and the off board wiring pads were in the least ideal spots. I ended up using a on-on switch for the mids because I didn't learn until after the fact the it's an on-off-on and I had it boxed already. In spite of all this it is still a worth while build that sounds great.

For the enclosure I used the a matte black tayda box and UV print. I wanted to have a kind of 80s vibe to the look and went with a color scheme that matched that. I went with rocket and his 89P13 designation from the GOTG vol3 film because one, its badass and two, because I wanted something that had the odb-3 vibe name wise . For the demo I looped something simple and turned the knobs to give a sense of the wide range of sounds available, and let's be real...I'm a guitar player pretending to play bass 😂. If you want a good bass drive then I can recommend this one. 4 stars for the drill template, off board wiring and build documentation short comings.
BIDBMwo.jpg
f9mkbad.jpg
UB1NEFP.jpeg

Last edited:
Damn. Dude. What’s the level after next level? That is a truly great build.

And despite being overrun in Toronto, I loves me a trash panda. Rocket hell yeah.
Thanks for the kind words, but I'm just the world's okayest pedal builder. All I see are flaws 😭but that's okay just room for improvement on the next build. And yes, trash pandas for life!

Dot Hamn dude! That’s a tasty sounding drive. Been looking forward to seeing this one finished up ever since you showed me the enclosure, and boy is it a beaut! Another top-of-the-top-of-the-top-notch build
Definitely sounds like it could be my main OD flavor for my bass rig, so I better quit waffling and get a UV file ready for it!

A pedal FOR BASS?? You don't say 🤔🧐
This was literally the first diy bass pedal ever, so I had to build it 😂
Dot Hamn dude! That’s a tasty sounding drive. Been looking forward to seeing this one finished up ever since you showed me the enclosure, and boy is it a beaut! Another top-of-the-top-of-the-top-notch build
Definitely sounds like it could be my main OD flavor for my bass rig, so I better quit waffling and get a UV file ready for it!
were-waiting-angry.gif

Great build, man (as usual 😂). My building time has really been limited lately and I haven't worked on a pedal in at least three or four weeks. I have a bunch of bass boards from Effects Layouts that I need to get on.

I now have my full rig setup in the garage so I can actually put my pedals to the real test. I can't wait to get your Clone Theory pumping through that beast.

Amazing build dude! Im loving the knob layout on this one! Im wondering how this would sound with a guitar at the end? :unsure:

Anyways man loving your build quality, everything from color choice to the name of the pedal (which i think is a genius name for a pedal) you knocked it out of the park! Great demo too!

Rocket Raccoon!

The colours you got for his gun really pop — what a great graphic.

Love it.

Also...

You're too freq'n' modest, but I also like that all the accolades haven't gone to your head. I have to agree with the others though (especially David), as this is your usual high-standard of the level after the next level. Ahh that's it! It's the consistency of your builds. Nothing is ever mediocre nor sub-standard.

So glad to see a bass-box build from you.

Great build, man (as usual 😂). My building time has really been limited lately and I haven't worked on a pedal in at least three or four weeks. I have a bunch of bass boards from Effects Layouts that I need to get on.

I now have my full rig setup in the garage so I can actually put my pedals to the real test. I can't wait to get your Clone Theory pumping through that beast.
Can't wait to see your assessment, although, I kinda wanna send my big box one to my Joy Division bestie so you can have both models.
Amazing build dude! Im loving the knob layout on this one! Im wondering how this would sound with a guitar at the end? :unsure:

Anyways man loving your build quality, everything from color choice to the name of the pedal (which i think is a genius name for a pedal) you knocked it out of the park! Great demo too!
Thanks Stevie. I'll have to sit down with this pedal into my guitar rig, I'll make a clip after work and post it.
Love the graphic design work you did with this one, you took an odd control layout and really made it shine.. especially by omitting that center switch. It really opened it up to take it a cool direction.
Thanks Rob, death to useless switches.
Rocket Raccoon!

The colours you got for his gun really pop — what a great graphic.

Love it.

Also...

You're too freq'n' modest, but I also like that all the accolades haven't gone to your head. I have to agree with the others though (especially David), as this is your usual high-standard of the level after the next level. Ahh that's it! It's the consistency of your builds. Nothing is ever mediocre nor sub-standard.

So glad to see a bass-box build from you.
Thank you, I love to play bass and even though Im not that great I still want to have a dedicated board to record with. Ive got more pedals I'm building right now for that board and in the coming weeks you'll get to see what I've been working on. I try to stay humble but it's also a byproduct of being broken down as a child in a very strict non encouraging/supportive household. OCD and mental health issues have pushed me to be better 😂 my anxiety says everyone thinks your a fraud and a hack. My depression says no body cares about you to notice🤡

Back