A tuner for my SCHMORG (T.C. Poly Tune Mini re-house)

dawson

Hello again,

So, my SCHMORG pedal-board thing has been floating around here for awhile (HERE's a link)

I'm mainly committed to using DIY pedals because of this design, which is cool and all, but I was really needing to lean hard on a piece of gear that I really don't much care for, my one factory-made pedal, a volume pedal with a built-in tuner.. It's not the worse thing ever, but there's no mode available to turn the LED screen off when you're not tuning, which results in a super-annoying and bright light that never quits.

First-world problems, I know, but I was mad as hell and I wasn't going to take it anymore, so I figured out a plan a few weeks ago, and finally got it together tonight!

I started by picking up the cheapest Poly Tune Mini I could find and looked inside:

dXtlLi2.jpg

(notice I took this photo before I built a light-box to diffuse that trash..)

I couldn't make the stock footswitch work pretty, but turns out, it uses that little momentary button to toggle its' ON/OFF relay, which I can mimic by wiring a momentary footswitch to the contacts behind the button.

Then I had to mount the thing somehow, so I made a custom "sled" as well as a custom back-plate for the tuner- each of these was 3d-printed with holes to accommodate 4 mounting screws:

Ieq7DoZ.jpg

My prints aren't the prettiest.. but I make sure you only seeing them when I show the guts..

Anyhow, next was a faceplate. The design and etch were easy enough, but that square hole gave me anxiety and I avoided cutting it for a long time:

hAV2SLg.jpg

5L0NoWC.jpg

I started off by drilling that upper left hole which is FAR from perfect, so that got me all puckered up and I made sure I didn't stray from my lines or remove material too fast. You can also see my silly insulation-tape precaution- who knows if that helped at all, but it made me feel better.

I fashioned some patch cables to integrate the 1/4" jacks into the connectors throughout the SCHMORG. When my sled came out with a design mistake, I decided to hack the housings of the patch cables rather than make the sled any thinner/weaker.

Here are all the pieces, apart, and then assembled:

3V30mSf.jpg

kLUMvRy.jpg

lDDpdZR.jpg

I'm not sure if my transfer paper drifted down a mm, or maybe I just measured a bit off, but I'm super happy with it overall, and I can finally tune with my SCHMORG now. I'll get some pictures of it all wired into place soon, but until then, thanks for reading!

obbma6V.jpg

Last edited:
Back