Abyss Rate LED possible?

Can you upload a photograph of your build? Thank you.
I think you were probably asking this of BrainDrain, but here are a couple of pics from my recent build with the 2nd LED wired to show both status and rate. I wired pretty much according to the diagram I posted earlier. It's hard to see, but the blue wire coming from pin 8 of the 3PDT is going to the land where pin 3 of the Voice pot would normally go. The green wire from pin 9 of the 3PDT goes to the 3rd leg of the Voice pot, which is severed so it's not connected to the board. The cathode of the 2nd LED is connected to pin 7 of the 3PDT and the anode shares the connection with the green wire on pin 9 of the 3PDT.

For the sake of simplicity, if you wanted to just wire the 2nd LED only for rate (and not affected by the switch), I would suggest soldering red and black wires to the 2nd LED to keep polarity straight and slide some heat shrink over the connections and bare leads. You could substitute a B10K pot with solder lugs for the voice pot and solder wires directly to the board for pins 1 and 2 of the pot. The red lead from the 2nd LED gets soldered to lug 3 of the pot, and the black wire gets soldered to the land where the 3rd pin of the pot would normally go.

Good luck!

IMG_5129.jpg IMG_5134.jpg

How much did the 2nd LED affect the Voice pot?
So, I ended up using a 5mm LED for the rate/status LED. I originally had a 3mm in there and had an issue when I first fired up the pedal that took out both LEDs and the Voice pot. After reviewing all the sage wisdom of this forum (thanks guys 🙏), I reflowed any suspicious contacts, cleaned and inspected the board for any stray pieces of wire, and wrapped electrical tape around the sides of the dual gang pot, plus added another layer underneath it. I was concerned that maybe the 3mm LED was part of the problem or couldn't handle the current, so I used a 5mm diffused yellow LED from Tayda. In my initial breadboard LED tests (series vs parallel, 5mm vs 3mm, 1 LED vs 2), the 5mm yellow LED didn't make that much difference when connected in series with another 5mm yellow LED. In retrospect, I don't think using a 3mm yellow or red LED should be an issue since I'm pretty sure something else was going on (likely the dual gang pot shorting against something).

As for how the 2nd LED affects the Voice pot, I did an A/B comparison by connecting a test lead across the rate/status LED for comparison, essentially bypassing the 2nd LED. The 2nd LED definitely weighs down D2 a bit. The Depth and Voice pots pretty much work in concert with each other. When the 2nd LED is connected, the range of both pots is affected somewhat. Hard to describe, but let's say you had a sweet spot you liked on both pots. That sweet spot would move a little on both pots due to the added current load.

Last edited:
Back