Anyone used Tayda’s glossy clear enclosure?

neiltheseal

Hi everyone. I just wanted to know if anyone has ordered the Glossy clear from tayda?

I know there is a picture but I’m sure it doesn’t do it justice.

Is it just a bare enclosure with clear coat over the top?

If anyone has a picture they can show me that would be appreciated

3PQujoA.jpeg

Not sure if I got a lemon, but the one I received was terrible.

It was smooth and even to the touch, but looked like it was covered in saran wrap with visible air pockets between spray layers. Then hairline cracks formed across the whole enclosure after punching and drilling, but only in the lower layers, with the top layer still smooth. So it looked like shattered glass, which is kind of cool, but not what I wanted.

I had already invested a lot of time measuring and marking the layout, so I just rolled with it.

3PQujoA.jpeg

It was smooth and even to the touch, but looked like it was covered in saran wrap with visible air pockets between spray layers. Then hairline cracks formed across the whole enclosure after punching and drilling, but only in the lower layers, with the top layer still smooth. So it looked like shattered glass, which is kind of cool, but not what I wanted.

I had already invested a lot of time measuring and marking the layout, so I just rolled with it.
Yikes. Did you reach out to Hugo about it?

Yeah, I did get a refund. Tayda is easy to work with when problems arise, which is not very often. I decided to push through rather than throw out an already drilled enclosure, since it was a stupid Bazz Fuss build anyway.

I'm curious if this was a one-off, or to be expected from this finish, like their terrible ball silver.

Wow that’s not right. It’s sorta cool though

3PQujoA.jpeg

Looks like they shrink-wrapped it before it was cured.

I’m trying to get that polished rams head big muff look for the enclosure. Does anyone know what tayda has that looks close to that?

To get that look you need to sand and polish a bare metal enclosure. You'll have to use the no-film water slide to put the graphics. Tayda used to sell a polished box, but they've been out of stock for many years now. My recent aesthetic is just sanded. It takes about 20-30 minutes. I start with 150 grit paper and then go to 400, 1000, sometimes 2000. That gets you something like this reverb pedal:
IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3374.jpg

If you want shiny, you do the sanding regimen and then use a polishing wheel and polishing compounds. I have a set of polishing wheels that fit on my drill press. They are made for polishing car rims. This is a pain, probably takes an hour. Also the no-film is pretty delicate when you tighten pots and switches. It's a bummer to get all the way to the end and then scratch it. Seems fine once it's all together. Here's a couple examples of shiny ones I've done:

IMG_1832.jpeg
IMG_1884.jpeg

“To get that look you need to sand and polish a bare metal enclosure. You'll have to use the no-film water slide to put the graphics.”

Inspiring stuff! I have a couple of bare enclosures that would benefit from such a pro finish.

Back