SOLVED Arkaim Fuzz: More Heavy = no sound

bretvh

Hi All. I've built up the PCB for the Arkaim and it sounds amazing... until I hit the More Heavy switch. Then, nothing. Complete silence.

I've done a bit of troubleshooting, to little avail, but am wondering if anyone else has run into this and/or has any suggestions. I'm attaching shots of the PCB and wiring for reference. Here is what I've tried:

1) Tested More Heavy switch for continuity
2) Tested wires from More Heavy switch for continuity
3) Tested that Q3 is getting power (2.xxv on the collector, 1.xxv on the emitter, can't remember base, but they match up roughly with, if not slightly higher than, Q1)
4) Traced signal with a probe. It appears as though the signal drops off at the bottom pad of R8. I am in the process of replacing R8, but I may or may not have pulled off the pad(s) in the process of removing it (insert baby tantrum here). So I am taking a break before I re-approach it. I also replaced C11 because I wasn't hearing any signal on either side of that, but then I realized R8 may be the actual culprit. Outside of that, I can get the signal everywhere in the circuit other than the bits around Q3.

Any sanity checks, help, guidance, or consolation is/are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.jpeg
    IMG_4441.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4442.jpeg
    IMG_4442.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4443.jpeg
    IMG_4443.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 10
Check the value of R12. It should be 1M, in the pic it looks like it could be 10R.

Check R10 while you're at it. It should be 4.7M, looks like it could be 47R.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back