Attenuators... Will Likely Need One

Fingolfen

So... I'm finally getting into amp building and am looking at some of the higher wattage amps that I likely won't be able to use straight in the house...

I've been looking at various attenuators, and they vary greatly in price / capability / mode of operation...

Any one have thoughts? Advice?

I'm likely going to be trying to get to where I can use things like 100W Hiwatts, Two-Rock, etc. in the house... At this point 5W is okay when others are in the house... and my AC15 turned down is okay - but I don't get to play at higher volume levels...

I had a Rivera Rock Crusher for a while, was pretty good. Years ago I had a Hot Plate which also worked fairly well. Now days only the dog is bothered if I play loud.

I liked the THD hot plates quite a bit.
Just remember to bias a bit cold or you’ll be redplating the tubes.

Another option is the good old post-phase inverter master volume. Very few amps actually distort the power tubes (phase inverter collapses first). Much better for power tube and transformer life. Just my opinion based on a few blind tests I did decades ago.

So... I'm finally getting into amp building and am looking at some of the higher wattage amps that I likely won't be able to use straight in the house...

I've been looking at various attenuators, and they vary greatly in price / capability / mode of operation...

Any one have thoughts? Advice?

I'm likely going to be trying to get to where I can use things like 100W Hiwatts, Two-Rock, etc. in the house... At this point 5W is okay when others are in the house... and my AC15 turned down is okay - but I don't get to play at higher volume levels...
Fryette Power Station \m/

If your amp has an effects loop, you can get away with something like the JHS Little Black Amp Box. It's an effective and inexpensive solution that still lets you drive your amp's front end without rattling the windows.

Standard Hiwatt DR103 (100w) or DR504 (50w) don't overdrive. There is no preamp or power tube distortion, and they sound the same from 1/2w to 100w. Although at highest volume you will get speaker breakup, unless you have very high rated speakers.

Now if you build a Marshall 2203...... You can just build your own!!!

This is a link for the instructions to a DIY reactive load attenuator

Standard Hiwatt DR103 (100w) or DR504 (50w) don't overdrive. There is no preamp or power tube distortion, and they sound the same from 1/2w to 100w. Although at highest volume you will get speaker breakup, unless you have very high rated speakers.

Now if you build a Marshall 2203...... You can just build your own!!!

This is a link for the instructions to a DIY reactive load attenuator
Even most classic black and silver fenders you won’t get any power tube breakup (you will get some preamp and a lot of phase inverter grunge), but the phase inverter simply won’t drive the power tubes even close to distorting.
And as you said, Hiwatts don’t break up at all unless you really drive the bejeezus out of them (like an echoplex preamp or other pedal)- and at that, it’s only the first gain stage breaking up, nothing past that.

Back