Black Eye Silent Treatment

TGP39

Hi all,
SushiBox Fx updated Black Eye version. Built two and they both do the same thing:

Build: SushiBox Fx Black Eye twin 12a_7 overdrive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AZtIS7IiQWQchlRfPitWsgdChZKbrSuD/view

Mods: none
Clean bypass: No problem, sounds fine
Activated switch: Bupkis (no sound at all on both builds).
Remedies: cursed, cried a little, double checked all passive components. Double checked orientation of Electro’s, transistors.
The plate voltage is about 210V on all four tubes. Nothing gets hot while it’s running.

I’m connecting something wrong. Wanted a fresh pair of eyes to take a look. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C4D85A48-A1E5-4EDB-9F92-FC745F226867.jpeg
    C4D85A48-A1E5-4EDB-9F92-FC745F226867.jpeg
    618.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 3FE35DE9-7893-4B7B-90CA-97FE55E3443B.jpeg
    3FE35DE9-7893-4B7B-90CA-97FE55E3443B.jpeg
    537.2 KB · Views: 58
  • A316F997-C378-49C3-81F3-898EEA212EC6.jpeg
    A316F997-C378-49C3-81F3-898EEA212EC6.jpeg
    675.2 KB · Views: 58
Wait for Nathan to chime in, but you might be ok.

I messed one up on a similar board but never powered it up.

I ended up melting the hell out of the plastic part of header pins so I just made my own rig.

I’m sure you can get a couple of sushi switch boards from Nathan for next to nothing.

I nearly made the same mistake on the Particle Accelerator.
You will have to cut all the pins on the right angle adapters & remove one at a time or risk damaging the PCB Boards.
You can see the White Square line where the should sit lower to the bottom of the Board.

Thank you for this idea. I’m going to need my Hakko FR-301 for this.
Another Trick I learned years ago is when you want to clean out all the Solder from the Pad holes is to stick the Soldering Iron tip in the hole & at the same time as you are removing the Iron, Expel a direct shot of Pffffff as close as you can get your Mouth & the solder fly's out and lands on the Bench top, Trust me it works!!!
Make sure your Bench is clear of PCB'S & Components!!!

Another Trick I learned is when you want to clean out all the Solder from the Pad holes is to stick the Soldering Iron tip in the hole & at the same time as you are removing the Iron, Expel a direct shot of Pffffff as close as you can get your Mouth & the solder fly's out and lands on the Bench top, Trust me it works!!!
It does work well. I use a straw to direct the air and keep my face away. Don’t use canned air as it comes out subzero and will thermally stress the pcb and prematurely freeze the solder.

Last edited:
It does work well. I use a straw to direct the air and keep my face away. Don’t use canned air as it comes out subzero and will thermally stress the pcb and prematurely freeze the solder.
giphy.gif

Those headers are a pretty tight fit as-is. With solder remnants, it could be tough to get all 10 pins of a new one in. If I were doing this I’d make a new header set out of smaller gauge solid core wire using the old header plastic spacers.

Another Trick I learned years ago is when you want to clean out all the Solder from the Pad holes is to stick the Soldering Iron tip in the hole & at the same time as you are removing the Iron, Expel a direct shot of Pffffff as close as you can get your Mouth & the solder fly's out and lands on the Bench top, Trust me it works!!!
Make sure your Bench is clear of PCB'S & Components!!!
I do this all the time. I run out of patience with my solder sucker. Works great for pots, too.

Back