Black eye VS SLO 100

vacondios

Hello everybody,

I always wanted a Soldano amp but since I do not have the money to buy one I was thinking of buying a SushiBox FX black eye kit and ask a friend of mine who is a technician to make it for me. I searched through the internet but the demo videos are not very convincing to me. Probably is because of the lack of explanation about the rest of their equipment or idk. I want your opinion on how close is the black eye to the real deal.

Thank you in advance!

Black Eye is based on the Soldano Supercharger GTO, which has some tonal similarities to the SLO100 but is not an identical circuit to the SLO preamp.

Black Eye is based on the Soldano Supercharger GTO, which has some tonal similarities to the SLO100 but is not an identical circuit to the SLO preamp.
The man himself chiming in right here👆 if you want info on the black eye no better than the source, here was a modified V1.Blackeye I did a while ago

And the demo in a pedal chain

Hopefully that helps a little

Hello sir,

I tried to contact you by the company email that you had but I could not reach out.
I feel from some demos that the pedal has a bit less low end and quite much less gain than the original GTO / the SLO amp.
Is that correct or is just because of the equipment that was used in the videos (amp, cab etc)

I have a digital emulation of it (licenced so I am sure that i is suposed to be a Soldano and not an other amp) and that is my point of reference as an everyday indicator because as I already nentioned I cannot afford one so I only tried it at a shop a few times.

The man himself chiming in right here👆 if you want info on the black eye no better than the source, here was a modified V1.Blackeye I did a while ago

And the demo in a pedal chain

Hopefully that helps a little
Firstly, Nice work man! You are a good pedal maker and player.
Secondly, I can here some of the Soldano character there but I cannot understand how much of the drive is comming through the pedal. Also compared to the other videos you have a more compressed sound

Firstly, Nice work man! You are a good pedal maker and player.
Secondly, I can here some of the Soldano character there but I cannot understand how much of the drive is comming through the pedal. Also compared to the other videos you have a more compressed sound
🙏,

It is pretty compressed I used a compressor in the chain before the OD and then again in the mix… (just my personal preference) as far as the OD goes I have it set like any TS vol boost minimal drive, I haven’t compared it to an actual SLO but did A/B it with my Recto and to be honest they are very similar, and and the pedal has about 80% of the sound feel and response of the pre on an actual high gain amp for my money, YMMV it really is subjective, but in my opinion well worth the price of admission if that’s your sound, is it a direct replacement for the real thing…nope but, it’s damn close for for literally a fraction of the price.

Hello sir,

I tried to contact you by the company email that you had but I could not reach out.
I feel from some demos that the pedal has a bit less low end and quite much less gain than the original GTO / the SLO amp.
Is that correct or is just because of the equipment that was used in the videos (amp, cab etc)

I have a digital emulation of it (licenced so I am sure that i is suposed to be a Soldano and not an other amp) and that is my point of reference as an everyday indicator because as I already nentioned I cannot afford one so I only tried it at a shop a few times.
My apologies, I've been on vacation for the past week or so and am just starting to dig through my email today. It should have the same amount of low end and the same amount of gain as the original GTO because it is the exact same circuit as the GTO. But the GTO is not the same circuit as the SLO amp, and is not the same thing tonally.

No problem sir.
My apologies, I've been on vacation for the past week or so and am just starting to dig through my email today. It should have the same amount of low end and the same amount of gain as the original GTO because it is the exact same circuit as the GTO. But the GTO is not the same circuit as the SLO amp, and is not the same thing tonally.
No problem sir. But what i ment was that the email from the build guide was not found as existing for a reason.
In my mind (based on mike soldano's promo) was that the pedal was inspired by the SLO100 preamp.
In any case do you have any recomendations on how to bring it to the point that would be close to the slo 100 preamp? Not in the case of controls but in the case of gain characteristics.

Last edited:
Back