Black Mass 1312… anything actually unique?

Towards the end of this you get a good look and some info. Check out the rat/expandora CB bass mod on this forum since that may be close to what it's got going on.

I have one of the earlier runs. I was replacing the tone/filter pot and screwed up the pads or traces going to it, so it's just sitting on a shelf. If I remember right it's a stock Rat 2 circuit just with the added rotary switch the change the diodes. I can dig it out tomorrow and take pics if you want.

I have one of the earlier runs. I was replacing the tone/filter pot and screwed up the pads or traces going to it, so it's just sitting on a shelf. If I remember right it's a stock Rat 2 circuit just with the added rotary switch the change the diodes. I can dig it out tomorrow and take pics if you want.
Why were you replacing the pot? Was it defective? No need to bust some pictures out unless someone who wants to trace it is interested. I saw a list of the clipping options on their website.

It gets a ton of love online so I was just curious what the special sauce was or if maybe no one on Reddit has played a Rat before

I built a MB Slow Loris for a buddy of mine and that was awesome. Had three clipping options. I can’t imagine that many more options would be that different

Why were you replacing the pot? Was it defective? No need to bust some pictures out unless someone who wants to trace it is interested. I saw a list of the clipping options on their website.

It gets a ton of love online so I was just curious what the special sauce was or if maybe no one on Reddit has played a Rat before
I think it gets a lot of love online because it looks great, and it supports black live matter and trans people. Sounds perfectly fine to my ears, but I don't think the love it gets is primarily off the back of the pedals sound, more so the branding and politics.

The sweep of the tone pot was only really useable for me in the last 10% of the sweep (almost fully clockwise). It's been almost two years almost since I messed with it so I can't remember if the pot was logarithmic or reverse logarithmic, plus whether or not the pot was wired to cut or uncut treble. I was trying to figure out where I could put jumpers from a 100k linear lugged pot to connect back to the appropriate traces and got distracted by other projects. IMO the pcb was laid out to be aesthetically pleasing more than where parts were closer to where they needed to go for efficient trace routing. The boards have been revised since then.

I think it gets a lot of love online because it looks great, and it supports black live matter and trans people. Sounds perfectly fine to my ears, but I don't think the love it gets is primarily off the back of the pedals sound, more so the branding and politics.
Yeah I agree with this statement I think some people are more honest about that and some less so.

Agreed it got hyped because of the politics surrounding it, but regardless of the hype it does sound great (because Rats sound great). Adding a rotary for multiple clipping options was a great mod even if some are a little redundant.

Agreed it got hyped because of the politics surrounding it, but regardless of the hype it does sound great (because Rats sound great). Adding a rotary for multiple clipping options was a great mod even if some are a little redundant.
Yeah that’s true that is a nice feature definitely easier to use. I’m a little torn it’s not that I don’t agree with both causes I just don’t like the ACAB aspect of it. It’s always seemed over generalizing of the actual issue but anyways I probably wouldn’t but it regardless since I tend to diy all my drive pedals.

The dipswitches to disable the charge pump (and allow the pedal to be externally powered by 18V) seems like a disaster just waiting to happen.

Seems like a cool pedal though.

The dipswitches to disable the charge pump (and allow the pedal to be externally powered by 18V) seems like a disaster just waiting to happen.

Seems like a cool pedal though.
That’s a very good point. Didn’t think of that.

Back