Blu Tack vs Blue Painters Tape

I recently bought some blu tack after seeing it recommended a few times. So far, I'm not too impressed. The stuff doesn't stick to itself enough, sometimes leaves residue behind and can be stiff to work with. Prior to ordering blu tack, I was using strips or squares of blue painters tape and overall I think it works better. With the tape, I am able to get enough tack in order to stabilize the parts, and I'm also able to easily see underneath to see if any components are tilted or not flush with the board. With the blu tack, I have to press it around the components and onto the PCB in order to get it to stick enough. And then often times the components aren't aligned properly when I remove the blu tack. Perhaps I'm not using the blu tack properly? Should I be using small pieces or a large piece to cover the whole board?

I use both, well actually GREEN painter's tape, not blue. The BlueTack is now more of a grey-blue.
Which I choose to use depends on what I'm doing, what's needed, what mood I'm in, what stars are in alignment, the phase of the moon/how high the tide is...

Doesn't matter what I do though, or anyone else;
Use whatever works for you. That can change, but it may not and doesn't have to.

PSA, blue tack is a petroleum based product(what isn't?). If yours is too stiff, knead a bit of oil into it. It only takes a tiny amount. I used wd40 and worked fine.
I tried it on a small amount(a out 2 pack worth) first and it made it too tacky but combined with the bigger blob(2 more packs) and was perfect.
Also, being a petroleum based product, be sure to clean your pcb anywhere bt was applied before populating.

I also have mixed luck with blu tack (loctite fun-tak). It’s become a bit stiff and not super sticky so I do get lifted parts occasionally. But I still prefer it to other methods, I think the tape would drive me crazy.

I use both. For soldering resistors and diodes when there isn't anything else populated on the board, Painter's tape works the best. You can press the painters tape down really well and use it to align your resistors nice and neat.

When I'm placing components of different heights, I use a ball of blue tack and press the pieces down into the blue tack to form a level base to aid in soldering. I'm not sure what brand I use, but the key is to use enough and work it like putty to soften it up -- right out of the package it's too stiff to work with. Also, I try not to use blue tack with sockets because the blue tack gets down in the holes and then melts there when you're soldering. It'll come out, but sometimes it takes work. When I'm placing IC sockets, I'll put a piece of painters tape to cover the sockets, and then stick that down with the blue tack.

Last edited:
I use the green tape, either Frog or Stikk brand. A piece will last me several builds, and it comes in handy for on the fly drilling templates, writing down what controls are what, or quick notes I don't need to keep around forever

For the way I build, blue tack doesn't work for me- I populate and solder all similar-sized components at once

I use blu tack but also run into issues described in this thread, for me it's just barely ekes out compared to using tape: it's easier for me to grab a small piece of blu tack vs grabbing tape, it's easier to reposition, etc. It can be harder to remove and get in nooks and crannies but I figure if I'm cleaning flux off anyway it's part of that process as opposed to part of the soldering and populating process. For placing sockets and components that are difficult to bend leads enough to keep them in place I'll insert them into the board and then put a scrap piece of cardstock or similar weight paper on top of them before I flip them over to solder them. Tape *works* better in that scenario but it takes more time so I don't bother.

Someone needs to invent a through hole component supporter / holder that is basically like this but upside down
1713448280469.png

I painted professionally for years until I finally found a better job that didn't require me to work weekends. The color of tape determines it's adhesiveness. Yellow is the least, then Blue, Green, then Orange being the most adhesive and sticks to rough surfaces.

I've never used tac ever so I can't comment. I always bend the component legs, flip the board, then solder. For toggles and sockets, I used orange painters tape. Never had a problem with residue.

I use blu tack but also run into issues described in this thread, for me it's just barely ekes out compared to using tape: it's easier for me to grab a small piece of blu tack vs grabbing tape, it's easier to reposition, etc. It can be harder to remove and get in nooks and crannies but I figure if I'm cleaning flux off anyway it's part of that process as opposed to part of the soldering and populating process. For placing sockets and components that are difficult to bend leads enough to keep them in place I'll insert them into the board and then put a scrap piece of cardstock or similar weight paper on top of them before I flip them over to solder them. Tape *works* better in that scenario but it takes more time so I don't bother.

Someone needs to invent a through hole component supporter / holder that is basically like this but upside down
View attachment 73277
I did see something that followed a similar concept.
It was a square frame that held the board. You dropped all components in the PCB, laid a sheet of foam over the components and locked the lid on which held them in place. Then you would simply flip over and solder up the board.

Edit: see video linked below to get a better idea. It’s not cheap!

Last edited:
I should've included in my previous post that at one point, my blue-tack use caused build problems which is why I switched back to exclusively tape for a while.

Blue-tack melts and will get into the sockets and under components when it gets heated, but there are some things it does better than tape.
So I started using it again and with more careful placement around the sides of IC-sockets or using large blobs of BT and securing the tack itself to the board well away from the solder area (just enough contact with the component to keep it in place) keeps melting to minimum.

This thread is full of great tips & info, such as DeadAirMD's mention of colour of tape properties. Totally explains why I'm getting better results with Green Tape than the blue tape I used to use. I just got green because that's what was available in the store, I thought I'd just bought better quality painter's tape.

Anything I can't keep in place by bending the leads I just hold with my finger. I let the solder hang off the front of my bench and I bring the board and iron to it. I don't get too ocd about component straightening though.

I only use black tape to hold the cat hair onto my Devi Ever builds for the mojo.

I should've included in my previous post that at one point, my blue-tack use caused build problems which is why I switched back to exclusively tape for a while.

Blue-tack melts and will get into the sockets and under components when it gets heated, but there are some things it does better than tape.
So I started using it again and with more careful placement around the sides of IC-sockets or using large blobs of BT and securing the tack itself to the board well away from the solder area (just enough contact with the component to keep it in place) keeps melting to minimum.

This thread is full of great tips & info, such as DeadAirMD's mention of colour of tape properties. Totally explains why I'm getting better results with Green Tape than the blue tape I used to use. I just got green because that's what was available in the store, I thought I'd just bought better quality painter's tape.
I’ve also had issues with the blu tak doing just this! I’ve learned to bend leads to hold, and with things such as IC sockets, I hold tight to my silicone mat, or even with a finger to tack in one pin and go from there.

Back