SOLVED Blue Sheep No Effect

joelorigo

I'm testing my in-progress Blue Sheep in my Auditorium Test Platform, I am getting a bypass signal, but when switching to Active, there is a "pop" but then no signal. I have continuity between the Test Platform and the PCB on all the connections, I don't see any solder bridges and the Platform was working earlier when I tested another circuit. Can someone take a look?

Attachments

• IMG_7215.jpg
    IMG_7215.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7214.jpg
    IMG_7214.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 83
I have the audio probe out. I am getting signal up to the 3 leg of the IC. Nothing after that. I'm a novice at reading a schematic but shouldn't there be signal in the 2nd leg of the IC? Which then goes off to the 47p cap, 15k resistor, the lugs of the PRE pot, the 1.2k resistor and 220n cap?

Attachments

• schem CU 1.png
    schem CU 1.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 15
I have the audio probe out. I am getting signal up to the 3 leg of the IC. Nothing after that. I'm a novice at reading a schematic but shouldn't there be signal in the 2nd leg of the IC? Which then goes off to the 47p cap, 15k resistor, the lugs of the PRE pot, the 1.2k resistor and 220n cap?
How about pin 1?

Ah! Speaking of that, I cant remember because I've done this so infrequently, does the circuit need to be connected to power while probing? The results I have listed so far are unplugged from any power supply.

Should have continuity/minimal ohms from pin 8 to ground.
Should have VCC(power) at 4.
Sorry, ohm in verb slang as in ohm out that connection, ohm that cable and make sure it's dead. General slang meaning to do something with your DMM. Also, "to check for resistance (ohms)"

I may have misspoke. Poor at multitasking.
Set your DMM to DC
Power on the board.

Black lead to ground(-) on test platform
Red lead to pin 8. Should read ~9vdc

If good, then go one lead pin 4, the other to 9v on the platform(+)
Should also be ~9v.

If the first test is bad, check you diode(1n5817) and it's orientation.
Also, the filter cap(100u electrolytic)

If the second test is bad, you've lost ground somewhere.

If both are bad, you have no potential between ground and 9v(VCC/vdc) and youve likely shorted 9v to ground. That goes back to the filter cap as well as solder shorts.

I may have misspoke. Poor at multitasking.
Set your DMM to DC
Power on the board.

Black lead to ground(-) on test platform
Red lead to pin 8. Should read ~9vdc
Yes, specifically 9.27
If good, then go one lead pin 4, the other to 9v on the platform(+)
Should also be ~9v.
Yes, specifically 9.51
If the first test is bad, check you diode(1n5817) and it's orientation.
Also, the filter cap(100u electrolytic)

If the second test is bad, you've lost ground somewhere.

If both are bad, you have no potential between ground and 9v(VCC/vdc) and youve likely shorted 9v to ground. That goes back to the filter cap as well as solder shorts.
So both are good, right?
I included a pic of the DMM setting to be sure it is correct.
I sure know about multitasking, I am doing it right now!

Attachments

• IMG_7220.jpg
    IMG_7220.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 1
start looking at all connections that go to the IC. If you have power and ground at the right pins on the IC, and audio coming in, then figure out why there is no audio coming out.

Is the output pin on the IC shorting out to ground or to another part of the board?

Gently remove the IC from the socket and bend the audio output pin so it does not fit into the socket when you put it back in.
Then power up the circuit and use your audio probe to see if you are getting audio output on the pin you kept from going back in the socket. If you have audio on the pin, but not when the pin is in the socket, you check the parts that connect to that pin on the PCB to isolate where the audio is being blocked/shorted to ground.

You can also test for connectivity between parts. Disconnect the pcb from power, then try testing between various points.

A great start would be between power and ground , to make sure there’s no short circuit anywhere.

Back