SOLVED Blue Sheep No Effect

joelorigo

I'm testing my in-progress Blue Sheep in my Auditorium Test Platform, I am getting a bypass signal, but when switching to Active, there is a "pop" but then no signal. I have continuity between the Test Platform and the PCB on all the connections, I don't see any solder bridges and the Platform was working earlier when I tested another circuit. Can someone take a look?

Attachments

• IMG_7215.jpg
    IMG_7215.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7214.jpg
    IMG_7214.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 83
Faulty Vol pot?

Did you test the pots before putting them in?

I compared your build to Szukalski's and found nothing errant.

You've grounded the power differently, but that shouldn't matter.

I'd reflow all the solder joints where the leads were clipped and
Try subbing out the ICs for a different set.

Sorry, that's all I've got.

Faulty Vol pot?

Did you test the pots before putting them in?
I didn’t, and never have! 😃 What should one do to test a pot?
I compared your build to Szukalski's and found nothing errant.

You've grounded the power differently, but that shouldn't matter.
What have I done differently than that build?
I'd reflow all the solder joints where the leads were clipped and
Try subbing out the ICs for a different set.
I’ll start with the ICs I guess, I recently saw a thread about bad TL072s even from reputable sources
Sorry, that's all I've got.
Thank you for your help!

Testing the pot:
Remove it from the build.
Turn the pot all the way to one side, measure the total resistance between leg 1 & 2, then 3 & 2.
Turn the pot all the other way, measure again and it should match up with total resistance above (ex 100k pot should read 100k on your DMM).
Turn the pot half way, measure both sides (ex 100k pot will then measure 50k per side).
That effectively takes care of continuity testing your pot as well. Might seem excessive/redundant/whatever, maybe there are better ways to do it, but that's how I'd approach it.

What you've done differently:
You did...
...Nothing differently! I was looking at the power and grounding cockeyed, and thought you'd done something different with the ground — but it wouldn't have mattered even if you'd done it how I thought!
Je m'excuse!

ICs and reflowing
If the ICs check out okay and you're still getting nothing, then start reflowing solder joints (without the ICs in the pedal). Maybe start with the power, grounds and then the IC sockets. Put known good ICs in and test again. Still no signal, then finish re-flowing all the joints.

Still no signal, then get out the audio-probe.

Signal in bypass with no signal while circuit engaged usually means there's a problem with the switching. Double check your connections — just 'cause you have continuity between two points doesn't mean the two are connected correctly and might need to be moved to the neighbouring connection point at one end... if you know what I mean. If not, I should try to get some sleep — a recurring condition.

Good luck!

I don't see where the SW output is connected to, but bear in mind that it is just straight from the 9V because there's no onboard LED or CLR.

If it's connecting to ground, then you're making a short. Try disconnecting it.

I don't see where the SW output is connected to, but bear in mind that it is just straight from the 9V because there's no onboard LED or CLR.

If it's connecting to ground, then you're making a short. Try disconnecting it.
The SW is connected to the SW on the Auditorium Test Platform

Attachments

• IMG_7216.jpg
    IMG_7216.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 18
I swapped out the TL072s and still no signal. However they all have the same code on them (26A83KM) so ??? Is there a way to test the ICs? Or just pull them from working pedals?

Disconnecting the SW wire from the platform give me signal in bypass still, and a loud hum when switched to Active. I did not have continuity with the SW and the GND before I disconnected it btw.

Also, how important is the IC? I just realized I have 2 NE5532s, one of which I know works in another circuit

As I assume that this is your own pcb design, could you share the exact schematic you built it with? Not the schematic it's based on, your own.
My design? Haha, no. Even though I've gotten about 40 successful builds under my belt I'm only a "color by numbers" type builder. This is the Blue Sheep donated to this forum by @szukalski here:

I took the Gerber files and ordered PCBs from JLCPCB. I gave 2 away and have messaged those guys to see if they have built theirs to eliminate the PCB bing the problem. (I also have 2 more to give away if anyone wants one)

Last edited:
My design? Haha, no. Even though I've gotten about 40 successful builds under my belt I'm only a "color by numbers" type builder. This is the Blue Sheep donated to this forum by @szukalski here:

I took the Gerber files and ordered PCBs from JLCPCB. I gave 2 away and have messaged those guys to see if they have built theirs to eliminate the PCB bing the problem. (I also have 2 more to give away if anyone wants one)
I bought Blue Sheep boards from jlcpcb as well. No issues.

Back