SOLVED Blue Sheep No Effect

joelorigo

I'm testing my in-progress Blue Sheep in my Auditorium Test Platform, I am getting a bypass signal, but when switching to Active, there is a "pop" but then no signal. I have continuity between the Test Platform and the PCB on all the connections, I don't see any solder bridges and the Platform was working earlier when I tested another circuit. Can someone take a look?

Attachments

• IMG_7215.jpg
    IMG_7215.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7214.jpg
    IMG_7214.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 83
I see. But looking at the schematic, doesn't the signal go out of pin 2, down the path to ground on the left, and also loop back into meeting up with the output of 1? As I stated above, I'm a novice at reading these and trying to understand it better.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 10.53.11 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 10.53.11 AM.png
    327.6 KB · Views: 4
Is the output pin on the IC shorting out to ground or to another part of the board?
The only pins that have continuity with ground is 4 & 8, which looking at the power section of the schematic looks normal
Gently remove the IC from the socket and bend the audio output pin so it does not fit into the socket when you put it back in.
Then power up the circuit and use your audio probe to see if you are getting audio output on the pin you kept from going back in the socket. If you have audio on the pin, but not when the pin is in the socket, you check the parts that connect to that pin on the PCB to isolate where the audio is being blocked/shorted to ground.
I removed IC 1, bent pin 1 up and put it back in the circuit. Pin 1 does not have the signal.

You can also test for connectivity between parts. Disconnect the pcb from power, then try testing between various points.

A great start would be between power and ground , to make sure there’s no short circuit anywhere.
I am not getting any continuity between the power or any of the ground points.

You can also test for connectivity between parts. Disconnect the pcb from power, then try testing between various points.
I am getting continuity between pin 2 and one lead of the 47p cap, one lead of resistors 1.2k & 15k, but not the 220n cap , nor any lugs on the PRE pot.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 1.31.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-11 at 1.31.11 PM.png
    126.7 KB · Views: 3
The only pins that have continuity with ground is 4 & 8, which looking at the power section of the schematic looks normal
It's NOT normal to have the power pin (8) have continuity with ground.
If that's the case, you're not getting power.
I have a feeling that shorting your power to ground by connecting the SW wire to the Auditorium.

Please measure voltage on all pins of the ICs against ground.
It should be close to 0V on pins 4, close to 9V on pins 8 and close to 4.5V on all other pins.

For audio continuity testing, what are you using for that specifically?

It's NOT normal to have the power pin (8) have continuity with ground.
If that's the case, you're not getting power.
I have a feeling that shorting your power to ground by connecting the SW wire to the Auditorium.
It previously to unhook the SW wire from the Auditorium, disconnecting the SW wire from the platform gave me signal in bypass still, and a loud hum when switched to Active. I do have continuity with the SW and the GND now btw.

Please measure voltage on all pins of the ICs against ground.
It should be close to 0V on pins 4, close to 9V on pins 8 and close to 4.5V on all other pins.
0 on all IC 1 pins
For audio continuity testing, what are you using for that specifically?
I have this DMM

Then your power and ground are shorted.
OK, what should I do now to figure out why that is happening? I did another visual check of the soldering looking for bridges and don't see anything really wonky, except on one side of the 33k resistor. It's bulbous, as opposed to a Hershey's kiss. Could that be causing the short?

Attachments

• Blue Sheep copy 2.png
    Blue Sheep copy 2.png
    140.8 KB · Views: 7
Whoops, some of my original sentence was deleted. My suspicion was that you might have killed some component by shorting the power to ground by connecting the SW pad without an LED connected.

The SW pad connects the negative end of the LED (with a current limiting resistor in series) to ground so the current can flow and the LED goes on. Without an LED + resistor connected it just shorted Power to ground, you can Google what happens when you do that.

Did you measure 0V at all pins of the ICs with power connected? Because before you measured 9V....

Whoops, some of my original sentence was deleted. My suspicion was that you might have killed some component by shorting the power to ground by connecting the SW pad without an LED connected.

The SW pad connects the negative end of the LED (with a current limiting resistor in series) to ground so the current can flow and the LED goes on. Without an LED + resistor connected it just shorted Power to ground, you can Google what happens when you do that.
Sounds like I shouldn't have tried this one on the test platform then, yeah? At this point should I finish the build with the in the enclosure, or is there something to do while it is still in the platform?

Back