BoomBoom, Eggsploder, Glitchee (Brassmaster, Scrambler, Guh'licky)

DGWVI

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Spent yesterday whipping up this trio of MadBean bass fuzzers.

1000019666.jpg

First up was the BoomBoom, clone of the Maestro Brassmaster. No mods to this, other than using a quad of 1N4749 for the bridge rectifier, as those were easier to match than the Tayda 914s I have on hand (0.678vf), and a log pot for the Bass knob.
A nice, nasty octave fuzz with a nifty clean blend and some interesting tone options on toggles.
1000019640.jpg

Next was the Eggsploder, modernized clone of the Ampeg Scrambler. This one comes with an LPB-1 type booster and Volume pot added to its ass-end to make up for the lossy vintage circuit. Also included the Splode toggle, which would normally swap the second transistor for a Darlington with reversed pin out. I opted for the Super Secret Splode version- this keeps the 2n5088 in the circuit instead of outright replacing it with the flipped Darlington. This mode is cool- it's almost a low gain Percolator type of timbre, with just a hint of upper octave. Had the volume difference between this and the normal mode not been so wide, I probably would have put it on a footswitch.
Used MPSA13, as I didn't want to wait for the 14s to come in, and they sound splendid
This is a Scrambler, so it's nasty, aggressive, and buzzy but allows you to mix in some cleans to reign it in a bit.
1000019663.jpg

Last up is the Glitchee- an amalgamation of the suboctaves and fuzz from the Bit Commander and a modified Seamoon Funk Machine.
I dont have any of the called-for NSL32s, so I used one of the cheapo LCR0203s. It works well, but I did have to tweak a couple things - I decreased R2 to 2k and omitted R13 to get the most out of the vactrol.
R10 is 270k, as I had run out of 220ks from this run of resistors. C19 was similarly replaced with a 220p, as I am out of 150.
C14 & C15 were increased to 5.6n for a little bit fatter of a filter. I may increase these to 10n.

This one's pretty fun, tracking is great for how low tech it is. The filter is not among my favorites, but it definitely does it's job in this circuit, and compliments the lower octaves nicely. If there's ever a v2 of this, I'd love to see the BassBalls filter in place of the Funk Machine
1000019637.jpg

Bean's boards are always awesome, even if he does release build docs when making the boards available. All three of these were super simple and fired right up. The hardest bit was the drilling for the Glitchee- I wanted to use nutless 9mm pots, so I had to make sure I was dead-on. Luckily, I didn't have any spasms and it turned out decently

Man, the Glitchee is intriguing—if only for being a completely unique design.

Interesting transformer on the BoomBoom. I haven't seen that brand. Is there an alternate transformer source you'd recommend?

Man, the Glitchee is intriguing—if only for being a completely unique design.

Yeah, it's pretty cool for an all-in-one type of deal
Sort of a poor man's MicroSynth

Interesting transformer on the BoomBoom. I haven't seen that brand. Is there an alternate transformer source you'd recommend?

I just used this one because I've got a bunch of em on hand, and it works great in this circuit, and all the other Octavia type circuits I've built with it. It's this one, from SmallBear.

I'm impressed by how straight and even you are with those stamps. Are you doing all of that with single letters? Or do you have custom stamps for the common ones - vol, bass, tone, gain, etc?

Back