Box o' Grapes (Fuchsia Fuzz)

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Hello everyone!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend i know i am! Just lastnight i finished up the Fuchsia Fuzz which is based on the Bjfe pink purple fuzz! This has been at the top of peoples list as one of the best fuzzes out there. @Chuck D. Bones says its his favorite fuzz! Ive seen multiple build reports where people are saying the same thing. Im not one to argue this thing is incredible! As soon as you turn it on you're greeted with growl that is unmatched! Ive played big muffs and Fuzz faces and a tone bender, all of them are awesome but theres something unique to the buzz saw, velcro fuzz this thing produces. Easily one of my favorites.

As for the build there nothing that stood out as being challenging. You have the option to build it with the NATURE knob or separate its function by building the TREBLE and BASS version. Which is @Chuck D. Bones mods. Its a straightforward build! I replaced all the 14k7 resistors with 15K. No audible difference here. By the end of the build i realized i needed an A25K pot for the TREBLE. Under Chucks guidance i put an A50K in its place. The TREBLE knob works just fine. No hiss or whine when maxed out. As for the transistors, i ended up breadboarding the first stage of this circuit which is Q1. The reason being is cause i didnt have the MPF4393 the build asks for. I ended up finding a MPF102 that read 6.06v on the drain. If youre going this route too then 6V at the drain is what you want to shoot for. Instead of BC550c I used BC549C. For the GE tranny i used a 2N1304 with an hfe of 96. Anything over 100hfe wont make a difference in how much gain is added. Id save your super high gain trannies as this circuit is very lenient when it comes to hfes and leakage. Other than that everything else is stock.

As for the playability this thing rocks! Lay off the FUZZ or bring the vol down on your guitar and your greeted with really nice overdrive! The CLIP knob is where im having a lot of fun. I like to have mine just before NOON. It gives this real nice buzzsaw fuzz effect. Max it out and you get a super squishy fuzz. Theres something about the characteristics of the sound that is very unique. Maybe because this uses a BJT, JFET, and a germanium transistor in its audio path.

All in all what a circuit! I will be revisiting this beast very soon. The circuit is so good i want to build another :ROFLMAO: Definite 5 out of 5 for me!

Thanks for reading!
Steve

IMG-1318.jpg

IMG-1319.jpg

IMG-1320.jpg

IMG-1322.jpg

IMG-1324.jpg

Last edited:
Great design, and “the last thing I need is another fuzz,“ and yet, you’ve just forced me into adding it to my wish list…😉

Great Job, Steve! Beautiful inside & out. Between the FUZZ & CLIP knobs, there is a huge tonal range from mild OD to full-on Fuzz.

BJFe actually built a 3-knob version (FUZZ, NATURE, VOLUME) and a 4-knob version (FUZZ, BASS, TREBLE, VOLUME). My mod was to tweak the BASS & TREBLE tuning a little and add the CLIP knob.

Ahhh i see now i honestly thought the TREBLE and BASS knobs were added by you. The CLIP does wonders! Even when your using the pedal as an Overdrive the clip can add some "dirtyness" and compression which is one of the most unique things in my opinion. We cant forget the sound!

Back