Byzantium headers: do they all carry connections?

pacealot

So I toasted my first set of header sockets on my first attempt at the Byzantium (note to self and/or others: don't try soldering the header pins and sockets while they are joined together, unless you want them joined together permanently from solder wicking into the sockets). In the process of removing the ruined sockets, I pulled off some of the PCB pad underneath one of the "inside" headers (the pairs just to the left and right of the resonance trimpot). Good job. 🤦‍♂️

So now I'm trying to determine whether I've hosed the entire bottom board and now need to start completely over or if it's still redeemable, but I've been unable to determine where in the circuit the header points are (I imagine a full build doc might address that in the future, but I know Robert's not quite there yet – I do have a copy of the Boss BF-2 schemo though, for what it's worth). I did a fairly thorough multimeter beep test, but I got no continuity anywhere on the board on what remains of the pad I bodged. I then tried testing some of the other header points, and I didn't get any continuity for any of the four inside header pads.

Are these inside headers just there for physical stability, and aren't actually connecting points between the two boards? That would be a very lucky break for me, since I managed to not completely destroy the two outside headers and the one up at the top of the boards (all of which do appear to be connecting necessary points between the boards). If that's the case, then I may be able to salvage it, but I wanted to check with the experts here first before I make any more wild assumptions.

I'm sure that most of the header pins conduct something between the two boards, if not all, be that signal, power, ground.
I would definitely try to salvage the board.
First step would be to determine what connects to the pad(s) you toasted, ie more beeping with your DMM and mark it down on the schematic;
once you've determined where a connection should be made, hopefully it falls within easy reach — maybe consider using shielded wire if you have to run wire anywhere near the clock:

BYZANTIUM FLANGER SCHEMATIC.png

ByzantiumFlanger.jpg

Unfortunately the traces from the other side of the board aren't visible in the REFDES pic above.

Last edited:
I(sadly)have 1 sitting here unboxed, just about all of them do make a connection, even if it's just connecting ground planes... I see at least 2 connections in the middle sockets on both boards to IC's...
You might be able to save it with jumper wires.

Thanks, Feral and Deperduci – I didn't have that schematic, and I hadn't yet thought to look closely at the REFDES image. Between the two, and closer inspection of the actual board in my hands, it's now clear that the specific pad I blew was meant to connect the junction of C26 and R44 on the top board to C27 on the bottom board. Unfortunately, I severed the whole connection between what's left of the pad and the actual trace going to C27 – there's absolutely no continuity between C27 and the remains of the pad. I guess some small good news is that it's in the feedback/resonance path, and so not one of the clock connections. But clearly a jumper wire is my only option. Thanks for helping me figure it out...

Back