Ceasar chorus rate too slow

youngkong10

My Julia builds rate seems to be about half of what I've seen in demos for the Julia? Ive doubled checked that all of my parts are the correct value. I tried swapping the rate potentiometer from 100k to 250k but it just seemed to mess things up. I've heard that the Julia is basically a modified CE-2 so my next thoughts would be to do some kind of CE-2 rate mod for it. I'm just trying to figure out if it's supposed to sound like this though.

Do you think this would sound any different than the r6/pot mod I did?

At maximum rate you're getting similar results to the capacitor change, but once you start to reduce the rate control to 75% and below the waveform loses its triangle shape. Below 50% starts to become unstable and the frequency jumps around, mine completely dies at around 25% on the Rate control.

I think it'd definitely be worth going back to the original values and swapping the 100nF for 47nF.

This is what the LFO looks like with the alternate values
1607301032432.png

And this is what it looks like with the correct values
1607301011998.png

At maximum rate you're getting similar results to the capacitor change, but once you start to reduce the rate control to 75% and below the waveform loses its triangle shape. Below 50% starts to become unstable and the frequency jumps around, mine completely dies at around 25% on the Rate control.

I think it'd definitely be worth going back to the original values and swapping the 100nF for 47nF.

This is what the LFO looks like with the alternate values
View attachment 8239

And this is what it looks like with the correct values
View attachment 8238
Oh wow yeah I just changed everything back and added the new cap value and it sounds beautiful. Thanks so much!

Confirmed, 47nF.

"But wait! You just said you didn't measure components in-circuit!"

I didn't.

This resistor is SMD film, which melts under normal desoldering conditions... So we have to work around that by removing other components to isolate the capacitor we want to measure. Although the capacitor is still on the PCB it is no longer "in-circuit".

View attachment 8232

That's some serious dedication! I'm impressed.

Literally sounds the same
I would take a look at the led's right next to the shape switch. I used 2.2uf mlcc capacitors instead as recommended by the admin in the original pedal request thread for the Julia. I'm sure it could be a lot of things but I know that those two leds are part of the waveshaping in the lfo.

Back